Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

polaris 700 v/s prairie 650

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2002, 04:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think its kind of funny. it seems in most comparisons, the grizzly always comes in second( this is what i'v read) seems not to be as fast as the prarie( but i have beaten them in races, i due have a jet kit and pipe though) cant handle as good on open trails as the prarie( but i can hang with them no problem) not as much as a work horse as the sportsman( i plow with mine in winter, and due 20 to 25 homes a snowfall)
so, when i looked at them all, i desited to go with the grizzly. maybe not the best in any one catigory( as stated by most mags) but in my opinion, the best all around 4x4 quad.
this is just my opinion though.

my pictures

Old 10-06-2002, 04:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you take a look in the forum, it seems that the 700 sportsman has quite a few mechanical problems. do a search or just browse through. ive read a couple posts of new 700 owners who were very dissapointed.

Old 10-06-2002, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

Did I read right? I think someone said that the sportsman 700 will (kick) out of 4wd when pointing down hill. Does this mean if it is a dead end you cant back up the hill do to the 4wd not engaging?

Old 10-07-2002, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

thanx 3tv..

If the prairie has more torque than the sportsman then why is the sportsman rated to towe 250lbs more than the prairie?

Old 10-07-2002, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

tommyboy
I just went through the same thing, 650 or 700. I have time on both atv's, then I chose the 700. The 650 has awesome low end power that can be addictive and you want more and more. But I felt mid and top end power went to the 700. And by putting a $17 white spring in the 700, I think the bottm end will be the same. But that wasn't my main reason, it was the ride. Up hear in the Granite State, trails are not very smooth, not many fast fire roads, but a lot of ruff and slow trails. So the ride of the 700 is much better then the 650. Then I thought, the 700 can do everything the 650 can do(not as sporty)but the 650 can't do everything the 700 can do(when GC is a issue. The 650 may be able to go faster down fire roads, but the 700 can go faster down the ruff stuff, which is mostly my type of riding.

Now some complain about the weight of the 700 (136lbs more then the 650). They say the 740lbs dry weight is too much compared to the 604lbs of the Kawi and 600lbs of the Grizz and Honda. And if your a new buyier, and looked at the specs, you would say the same thing, the 700 is too heavy. But when you look at both atv's side by side, you can see why there is such a weight difference. The other day I was able to get the real weight of the tires and rims of the 700. THOSE RAWHIDES ARE HEAVY. How heavy? The rear tires each weigh 40lbs and the fronts weigh 33lbs each. That's a total of 146lbs. On my Grizz, when I put on new tires and rims(which are basically the same on the Kawi and Honda) the rear tires weighed 23lbs ea and the fronts 21lbs ea. A total of 88lbs, that's 58lbs less then the 700. You might say, no way they can be that much of a difference. I said the same thing, but then compare them side by side. Then you will see the difference. So if Polaris put the same tires and rims on that the Kawi has, the 700 would only weigh 682lbs, that is only 78lbs more the the Kawi, 82lbs more then the Grizz and Honda. Yet, what do most do when they buy a Kawi, Grizz or Honda, put on better tires. So with the same tires and rims on all the big bores, they would all be about even.

But what ever you pick, pick the one that you like. Try them out. Then make sure you have a dealer that will take care of you. A bad dealer can make a great atv look bad.

Old 10-07-2002, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

GE4x4
If you dond mind I would like to ask some queastions.
Do you find your 700 do be stable on STEEP hills? On my sportsman 335 I cant hual a passenger with me because Ill drag on a pot hole, can you hual a passenger on the 700 without loosing to much ground clearance? Also I've heard that with the prairie you can wheelie at will, have you ever tried to whillie your 700?
just trying to get some compartion info.

Old 10-07-2002, 01:02 PM
Range Rover

AMEN!!!!

Old 10-07-2002, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider

<< thanx 3tv..

If the prairie has more torque than the sportsman then why is the sportsman rated to towe 250lbs more than the prairie?
>>

The tow rating is based upon the weight of the ATV, not the power.

Old 10-07-2002, 01:18 PM
Pro Rider

The towing cap is seems to be decided by lawyers,not engineers.At least that what a mag said.The reasoning behind that comment was that fact that all hondas are rated to have the same towing cap,recon to rincon,850lbs.Moms bayou 220 is rated at like 400lbs,but it moves the boat around the yard fine.Also braking is a factor on towing cap to.

Old 10-07-2002, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider

I had a delivery date on the 700 Sep 13, but on Sep 11 my left leg was broken very badly, Tibia bone came through the skin and my Fibula is broke in 2 area's. So with that happening, I did not pick up my 700.

However, two weeks before, a friend let me try his 700. It had 240 miles on it, so it was broken in. I took it through it paces by taking it to Hogback Mountain, a riding area near where I live. I rode with a sp400, sp500 and a Quest. The 500 had about the same miles as the 700, so side by side, the 500 had more rear sag then the 700, I believe both were on the 2nd setting on the pre-load. So there was plenty of adjustment left. I rode behind the 500 in some places, and a couple of times the suspension would be flat across, but never went lower then that, but the 700 didn't move much. So having a pass should be no problem, just set the pre-load. But none of the sp's that I ran with lost enough GC like the Quest with the SA. But on very steep hills, I would rather not have a pass. As far as stability on hills, could not ask for more. I felt very good on how the 700 did. This one area on the ride is what secured it. It was about a 150 to 200 climb that was full of loose rock's that you had to twist and turn all the way up, and about 3/4 the way up, there was about a 6' spot where you really had to lean forward because it was so steep, and the 700 was impressive. In low range, the 700 is a monster. The only one that could not make it without help, was the Quest. And when it got stuck, you could thus see why true 4x4 is important. He had his left tire in the air spinning wildly and the right was doing nothing.

As far as wheeling at will, the 700 will lift the tires at take-off no problem. But with the weight of the tires and the softness of the cluch. You would most likely have to work at to make it wheely. But put in a white spring, then no problem. If my area was full of flat smooth trails, I would buy the 650 in a heartbeat. But with the trails that I have, the 700 is hands down winner. I liked it better then my Grizz that I had. But again, try them out, but try to use them on trails, not the dealers parking lot. Have fun on whatever you get.

Quick Reply: polaris 700 v/s prairie 650