Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New 700 questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2002, 09:52 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 700 questions.

I just bought a new 03 Sportsman 700 and since this is my first Sportsman I have a couple of questions from the experts.

1. When in high 2x2 and taking off or going slow and feathering the throttle there is a gear clunking sound by my right foot, is this normal?

2. When ideling or going slow there is a very noticable vibration, enough that the front middle plastic rattles and you can really feel the vibration. At higher rpm it is very smooth, is this normal?

Other than that this is an awsome machine!

Old 10-13-2002, 10:33 PM
Range Rover

Now after reading a buch of old posts I see the waterpump problem and mine was built 7/02 so do I wait for Polaris to send me a letter to bring it in for the fix or wait until it leaks or what? Thanks.

Old 10-13-2002, 11:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

My water pump and front hubs were leaking, and I took it to the polaris dealer and polaris is paying for it.

Old 10-15-2002, 04:13 AM
Trailblazer

Iweb I too have noticed these things and assumed it was normal operation. It feels like a tcase clunk to me. And there balanced engine is not perfectly balanced was my opinion. I am very pleased with the product so far.

Old 10-15-2002, 06:12 AM
Pro Rider

THE CLANKING NOISE IS PROBALY YOU CLUTCH ENGAGING. TAKE YOU AT VBACK TO DEALER AND GET THE NEW WATER PUMP COVER INSTALLED.I NOT GOOD IF YOU ARE ON A LONG RIDE AND LOSE YOU COOLANT!

Old 10-15-2002, 09:34 AM
Range Rover

iweb,
Everything you describe is just the nature of the beast and is considered normal. As far as the water pump leak goes, it will probably never be cured until the big P fesses up and makes a metal replacement cover. Mine has been in the shop three times for the leak. The cover was replaced along with the o-ring each time. It started to leak again after the last dealer repair and I just siliconed it. The plastic cover just keeps warping. If anyone knows for sure that a metal cover is available, let us all know.

Old 10-15-2002, 10:54 AM
Trailblazer

I did a search on Sportsman 700 and found out the clunking is normal. I have yet to see someone say that theres does not clunk. The front hood vibrates against the radiator and that can be fixed with a couple of rubber stops glued into place. I think polaris should have done something about the hood vibarting its a little thing that they could fix before releasing the machine to the public. I takled to my dealer about the water pump cover and he told me that it was only the first 10,000 2003's that had the old style cover. He checked my vin# and said I had the new style and mine was built in june. I also talked to the parts guy and he said they have a ton of the new covers in stock and they are made out of a carbon material.

Old 10-15-2002, 09:18 PM
Range Rover

I just went on a "long" ride of about 30 minutes and it seem like the vibration is now at the mid band rpm too, its really bad and the noise coming from the hood area is real loud almost abnoxious. Also it now makes the gear noise real loud when I let off the gas doing like 15 mph and then when I hit the gas and let go real fast it make the clunking sound. AND when I was going down a steep hill using the engine brake the belt squealed. Now what?

Old 10-16-2002, 09:39 AM
Range Rover

iweb,
Everything you describe is still the nature of the beast and nothing to worry about. The belt squealing is just the EBS working. In time it will get less noticeable.

Old 10-17-2002, 12:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

I would bet the vibration everyone is hearing is the same one I had. It sounds like it`s under the front rack and will drive you crazy in the mid RPM range. Try this, take off the seat, start it up and rev it up a few times. While doing this push or pull on the plastic intake tube that run up under the plastic on top of the gas tank. If this is the problem all you have to do is push the foam that`s around the tube higher up the tube till it stops the tube from vibrating against the tank. It took me weeks to find what it was. It sounds just like it`s in the front but this should cure the problem. I also had the leaking water pump for awhile. I just tighten the cover bolts and it went away. In all I only added less than a quart of antifreeze in 300 miles and in the last 200 miles I haven`t used any. The gasket is still damp but that`s no big deal. The speedo fogged at first but Polaris gave me a new one no problems after that. I also thought it could run a little better and was thinking about a clutch kit but, after about 450 miles the 700 came to life and runs better everytime I take it out. Oh yea! as for the hoses rubbing, just but something around them like another hose or that plastic stuff. I know everyone thinks if you spend that kind of money you shouldn`t have to but hell go out and pay 100,000 for a new Kenworth and you`ll have to do the same thing. I have had every brand of ATV except Artic Cat some were great others were junk but I won`t get into that. I am very happy with the 700 and would buy another one. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: New 700 questions.