ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/)
-   -   To clean or not to clean... (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/87305-clean-not-clean.html)

looking 02-02-2003 09:23 PM

To clean or not to clean...

I'm just wondering what your thoughts are on keeping your quad clean?

Clean Pros: All the dirt and grime doesn't build up. Should allow the motor to operate cooler.

Clean cons: Could force dirt into places it shouldn't be. (garden hose method)

Thoughts?

2manytoys 02-02-2003 09:39 PM

I would think that if dirt got into things where it should not be then there would be way more problems with any quad. Everything is sealed pretty well on atv,s. I clean mine after every ride religousley and never had a problem. As long as you keep everything greased, oiled, and clean it should be pretty trouble free. I think everyone would agree.

Even with my offroad truck I wash it after every compitition and after everytime It gets muddy.

StevieD 02-02-2003 09:44 PM

well, if you would like your quad to last, i would strongly suggest washing it regularly. as far as the water pushing dirt into places it shouldnt be, dont worry about it. the force of the water will usually get most of the mud and crap off of it. then go to work with the soap and sponge, but make sure you get all of the crap clumps off of the plastic parts first, or they will scratch like heck.
also, dont use a pressure washer unless you know what you are doing. the pressure of the water can blow seals and stuff if sprayed in the wrong spots. it is also a good idea to get a spray wax and apply it liberally to the plastics. this helps keep dirt from sticking as bad. do not use something like regular turtle wax, as it gets into the small scratches and shows really bad.
hope this helps some.

OffRder15 02-02-2003 10:46 PM

CLEAN! One main reason...rust! Also, once the dirt builds up, it's a lot harder to get off. Once a year I take my plastic off and scrub everything. You can't go wrong with cleaning your quad in my opinion.

looking 02-02-2003 10:48 PM

Thanks guys! Good advice!

stuck 02-03-2003 12:07 AM

For those of you that have white plastic, use Westley's Bleach White. It's for white wall tires. After you wash the quad spray it on the plastic and than use a scrub brush. It works great on the plastic, gets the dirt out of the scratches.

Fango 02-03-2003 03:01 AM

There is no doubt that cleaning your wheeler is going to add life to many parts. I actually find it pretty enjoyable to tear my machine down and clean it up.

It is also a good way to inspect wiring, loose nuts and bolts, and other odd broken things...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

CLEAN...CLEAN...CLEAN...and then go out and find a good mud hole...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

elroy2 02-03-2003 09:18 AM

Clean.

Like you mentioned though, you can force dirt into places ecspecially with high pressure hoses.