Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

why does polaris get ragged on?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 11:22 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why does polaris get ragged on?

Like i said, i really dont have any experiences with polaris, so i dont really know that much about them. Its mainly just that i dont like the belt drive automatics. I just think the new hondas automatic would be better than the polarisis.I have rode my neighbors rubicon once and i liked it pretty good. It doesent really matter what you have as long as you like it. I like my honda a lot, and will probably stick with honda a long time because i like mine a lot. As for the 3 wheel drive thing......I think a locker is only 2 or 300 dollars, and a polaris of the same size would cost you at least that much more, so like i said.... its what you want.But i did see a polaris in a video in some mud a while back(500 sportsman), and all 4 wheels were not spinning. It looked like one front and one back was spinning.

Old 05-03-2003, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

That is the point I was trying to make. If you had experience with Polaris 's belt drive system, you would probably change your mind about them very fast like I did. I'm not bashing Hondas either, it's just that they are not king of the hill anymore.

Another thing, if you have never been stuck, you have never been in the mud.

Old 05-03-2003, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

Yep, another honda guy here...but I've also owned Kawasaki, Yamaha, and Suzuki bikes over the years. Anyway... I ride a 400ex, which gets picked on just about as often as the Polaris quads do. Doesn't matter to me, I love my quad, and I have a lot of good times riding it. So, anyway...I just recommended the 500 4x4 Scrambler to my father, because he wants a sporty 4x4...it was my first choice to tell him. I've owned a Wolverine, and it was fun, but sometimes lacked power. He was hesitant about the Polaris bikes at first, just because he didn't know much about them. I've been to a couple of ATV Jamborees in Idaho, and for the most part all the bikes out there were Polaris bikes, and I got to see how dependable and trail-worthy that they were. Polaris bikes are good, but so are Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Artic Cat, Bombardier, etc.... Just ride what you like. Kind of like you drive the car or truck that you like. There's too many pissing matches on here. If you bought your quad and you like it...good for you. If you don't like someone else's bike...it just doesn't matter, because you don't have to ride it....they do. Quit b!tching, and go riding!!!

Old 05-03-2003, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider

If im not mistaking I heard the news of Harley Davidson coming out with 2 lines of Customs that will be utilizing a CVT. So if its that junky why in the hell would the rough n tumble Harley boys be making some of the best cruisers in the world out of them? Tell me there is a doubt in your mind that if they use a belt on a 1400cc road bike that the belt is not strong enough for an ATV. And about Polaris not making an ATV to blow away the posse. We dont here nething from Honda except for a 450ex that will use the old frame and tranny and have a CR motor in it. That isnt RD thats sheer LA. Lazy A$$e$. Polaris made their first foray into the sport market. And if im not mistaking wasnt Cannondale the only ATV manufacturer to make a "RACE" machine?

Old 05-03-2003, 01:09 PM
Range Rover

V8 s-10, i have been in some pretty soupy mud before and i have had to rock it out of some places(my front and back wheels were in ruts, and the fram was bottomed out), but i havent ever been in really really muddy mud either though, but i have been in decent enough mud to know it does pretty good. One thing i really like about my honda is the torque of the 5spd and the motor combined. I have rode an older and newer kawasaki mule that use a belt drive automatic, and it actually seemed to be pretty decent, but for pulling stuff like i do(i dont pull that much but when i do), i dont think a belt drive would hold up hardly as good as a 5spd.I do know that people pull all the time with belt drive autos and have good luck, but when you need to go slow its just not as good. But i think its good for people to be different about there pick of fourwheeler. I think honda is just as much king of the hill as anyone though. They may not have the greatest big bore, but i think they have just as good of technology in their ATV's as anyone does. Just look at their automatics, and the new rancher AT with gps. I dont see any other ATV's with that technology, but that just means tey are probably focusing on something else like their big bore atv's.

Old 05-03-2003, 03:20 PM
Pro Rider

Redneck,
Honda and Polaris seem to be in pursuit of different types of technology. For my use, the Polaris has the better features, I'm not impressed with a built in GPS. Like I said before, I'm not going to bash Hondas and you seem to be very happy with yours, but I still think you are misinformed about Polaris's belt drive system. I believe if you spent one day riding a Polaris 700 you would change your mind. Like the guy said above, be happy with and ride the quad of your choice.

Old 05-03-2003, 03:46 PM
cws
Weekend Warrior

back in 1996 i poped the motor in my quadracer500 and while it was being fixed i purchased a 96 scr400 for me(in the snow+ mud) and my girl to ride(also had a cr250). My friends ragged on me hard! but over the winter i was the one breaking the trails. by 98-99 they all bought sportsmans & express polaris machines... we all put 26-27" mud tires and experianced a whole new aspect of the sport (mug bogging). hell these guys all rode race quads now some even helped polaris design the mossy-oak camo found on todays sportsman's. now i own a pretty tricked 02 sram400, but when i want to jump & weelie i love my 99-cr250.
people change and so do there atv preferance.

Old 05-03-2003, 08:19 PM
Range Rover

Well V8s10, i was just coming up my subdividion when i see a polaris scrambler 500 4x4 at my neighbors house(he owns a rubicon). When i got to the house i went down to his house on the foreman and was asking him about it(its actually his buddys who is trying to sell it), and he said he liked it, but low and behold the first thing i saw was that the belt was shredded laying on the floor beside it with the clutch cover off. I would have really liked to see it run, but the belt was absolutley shredded all to pieces. He started it up for me and it sounded ok but vibrated quite a bit and when he was revving it up there was pieces of the belt still coming out of the breather for the belt. I do think that it looked to be of better quality than i thought though. If he gets it fixed and still has it i might go down and check it out while it will actually move. Over all i think it looks better than i thought it would, but its just funny that the belt would be broke right when i was talking about it on here. He did say that he liked his rubicon better though because of how it shifted a lot smoother than the scramblers did.

Old 05-03-2003, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider

Well I guess that sums it up, you saw with a destroyed belt so all belt drives are junk. I had a Honda 4 wheeler with 2nd gear torn out of the tranny, so I guess they are all junk too. You probably should stick with Hondas.

Old 05-03-2003, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

only reason belts shread is because back wheels arn'tt turning and clutch is engaging, now if you put it in low range i don't care how bad the back wheels are caught on something you will break something else before that belt shreads in low range, if you bolted the rear axel to the floor and put it in low range i bet the entire quad would lift up and turn over and land on the handlebars.

Quick Reply: why does polaris get ragged on?