Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

why does polaris get ragged on?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 07:03 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why does polaris get ragged on?

I didnt really mean to start something like this on here but oh well. The point is we both like our machines. Good luck with your polaris V8S10,c ya later.

Old 05-04-2003, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: V8s10
Well, there was just so much BS floating around in there I just had to say something! This is my last post on this subject, you like your Honda, I like my Polaris, I also like Hondas, I even have one now and have owned 4 of them over the past few years.

Seriously though, speed is not important to me, I got up to 55 mph (probably about 62 with speedo error due to tire size) on the pavement the other day and that is faster than I need to be going on a 4 wheeler. I doubt I ever will find out the top speed of my 700. Good luck with your Honda Redneck.

Did you have your slow "moving vehicle sign" on back ???

Old 05-04-2003, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

i would rather buy from a USA company then a Japanese company and slowly put us all out of jobs, hell part of your money probably is ending up in terrorists hands

Old 05-04-2003, 11:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Brand wars will always be, but most of it is jealousy.

Old 05-05-2003, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kind of funny. If you asked the same question in the Honda forum about why everyone picks on Honda owners you would get the same responses.

However, I am no more jealous of a Polaris than you are of Honda. Why would anyone ever be jealous of another ATV when if they felt that way they could just go buy one.

I think a better title for this post would have been "As the War Continues."

See ya on the trails.

Old 05-05-2003, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: scrambled6910
If im not mistaking I heard the news of Harley Davidson coming out with 2 lines of Customs that will be utilizing a CVT. So if its that junky why in the hell would the rough n tumble Harley boys be making some of the best cruisers in the world out of them?

And if im not mistaking wasnt Cannondale the only ATV manufacturer to make a "RACE" machine?
First of all, Just because Harley Davidson does something... doesn't mean its good... They've had many flops down through the years... The biggest one is using 1800's technology on that V-twin... But that discussion is for another forum..

You must be mistaken because Cannondale isn't the only Mfg making a "race" machine... And in my opinion (Yes, we've all got 'em) C'Dales are not "RACE" machines!!

Now before you start flaming me here.... You can RACE just about anything... I've seen riding lawn mower races, belt sander races, barstool races, combine races....... Doesn't mean they were born to be a race ready machine without many many modifications.
Real Race machines don't have reverse or electric start! You need to look back into the late 80's when "RACE" machines were being produced (Not counting the banshee... it's always been around in "Race" attire)

My $.02

Old 05-13-2003, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider

yeah thats my biggest bitch about polaris is the lack of aftermarket stuff....i love my scrambler though most of the time is i ride trails and with the mods ive made and plan its perfect and so what if auto one less thing for me to mess up when it counts[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]....and by the way if anyone seen in the new dirt wheels in the back where they are showing pics of the last gncc race...three scramblers ...two in front of kfx 700.....and of course no caption isnt that how it goes

Old 05-13-2003, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider

Heres my 2 cents. I guess over the years since polaris starting making quads they have been the butt of many a joke . I guess I really grew to hate them because they were built with a different standard in mind. They were used to making snowmobiles which only ran for a few thousand miles over thier life span.. Honda was mostly relaibility and perfection of design before it is released to the public. Polaris seemed to be the bigger is better mentality, sort the problems out after the quad is released,constant design changes,performance first, ease of use and to hell with reliabilty (belt drive)(triple chain drive scramblers). And what really sealed it was every body that I rode with that had a polaris almost always had something go wrong with them like the belt slipped or the throttle switch failed and it wouldnt rev or the throttle stuck and ran the wheeler into a new truck in the parking lot. Or the steering stem broke off while riding. Eventually they got fed up with them and traded them off for something else. Im not saying that all Polaris quads are worthy of bashing but it seemed that over the years it never ended. Now thier quads are so big and heavy I am in fear of getting run over by one on the trail on my little sport quad. You can imagine my surprise when I saw a polaris predator dominate in its first mx race last year. That was no rack laiden tanklike wheeler. They acually put some thought into the design and it doesnt look like it was build in the back shed. I think polaris has got thier act together and will be a force to recon with. I have also heard many a good thing about their reliabilty in the last few years with excelent customer service . I think you should buy the wheeler that you feel is right for you . I am speaking from my experience. Ill bet their are many people who have never had a single problem with thier polaris and these are the people who dont understand the bashing. If I can change any one can.

Old 05-13-2003, 08:26 PM
Range Rover

wistech,

people don't buy a sportsman (any model) to keep up with a canondale or
one of those fancy dancy sports atv's..
what polaris has done is make their product line more reliable over the years,
and they've taken one of the best utility quads in the business and continually
improved it each year to make it the machine it is today.. probably the best utility
quad with one the best ride in the business..

Polaris has been a forward thinking innovator over the years and brought things
to market that the japanese first watched to see how it sold, and then copied it.

Two things I'd like to point out about Honda is they have reliability second to none,
their machines don't break much... and the second thing is Honda has really been
slow to change or improve on their quads.. case in point is their no. 1 selling machine
for years( the honda 300) was hardly changed over several years and honda became
a very boring company... now they're copying lots of things that Polaris brought to
the industry years ago.. the only thing they've really done innovative in the past few
years is come out with a good hydrastatic transmission.

Both are great companies but Honda is far more conservative than Polaris...
Polaris is imho the most forward thinking and innovative atv company in
the business.. I see Bombardier trying some things in the past few years
and I think they will eventually pull out of their sales slump and be rewarded
as being another forward thinking company... but not the Japanese,, they've always
been "let's copy , and try to make it better".... not saying that's wrong, just a different
way of running two companies that have two different objectives in mind...

I'm proud to own a polaris, I'm glad they're an American company and I really
admire their business philosophy and innovative thinking..for years, the japanese
quads (utility machines) were boring until they started copying several of the Polaris
features....oh, did I mention the weight difference between the Polaris utility quads
and the Japanese anything ... sure am glad I have all that extra weight and heavy
dutiness... nuff said...

Old 05-13-2003, 09:36 PM
Trailblazer

I had a yamaha Raptor and I loved it I had no problems -except the the carbs blowing out of the boots- I had no complaints. I never thought I would even look at a polaris I hated them, until I saw the predator. I saw how much better it was built then my raptor. It seemed like it could take more abuse. Not to mention it handles better, now I have a predator ,pro x 800 sled ,and a soon to be sp700.

And you guys complaining about the "Whimpy" belt drive how come kawasaki, yamaha, and other brands are using them.
Look at snowmobiles like an artic cat thundercat 1000 cc 2 stroke with 170 hp the belt drive holds up on that. Polaris introduced and perfected the belt drives on atvs, and look all the 4x4s and some sport quads are going to it.

Quick Reply: why does polaris get ragged on?