Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2000 Spotsman jumping on takeoff

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 08:59 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Spotsman jumping on takeoff

I have a 2000 sportsman with 1500 miles on it. took it to the shop to have them take a look at why it seems to jump when you give it a little gas. Feels like maybe a bearing is grabbing.
they told me that this is normal. I said that it is not. they tried to tell me that it is the Belt.
I argued. I just put a new belt on it less than 200 miles ago.
now they say that it is the Belt trying to grab the Groves on the Drive Pully. For some reason I don't think that this is Normal.
has anyone experenced this type of problems. This just started to do this about a 100 miles ago.
Any help will be Greatly appreicated.

The bike is under extended warrenty untill July, and I want to insure that this is fixed before the warrenty runs out.

Thanks for any advise.

Mark

Old 04-17-2003, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

It actually probably is the belt, sometimes it takes a new belt to break in a little. Belts are different lengths alot of times and sometimes adjustments have to be made to the alignment of things. Take the cover off and watch the front clutch as you rev it in neutral. Let off and see if the belt returns to the center of the sheave in the front, if it does, good may just be tight and needs to break in. If not, tell the dealer you need the clutch adjusted. But, it is regular maintenance and I don' t think warranty will cover it. Check out this link for some good info. SLP This site is for sleds, but applies to ATV's also.

Old 04-17-2003, 09:38 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks NC I will check out the Clearance tomorrow when I get it back. I don't think that they even looked at that.
I know that the Pullys are cleaned. I did that before I even to it to them.
That is ok if it is under regular maintance. That should be one of there checks.
I bought a plan that takes care of all the maintance for the bike for 3 Years. and will expire in July as well.
So if they haven't been checking that then I will have to let them know.

I would assume that you work at a Dealership from the post that you have posted.

Thanks again.
Mark

Old 04-17-2003, 10:00 PM
Pro Rider

rear shocks are blown out, thats why front end comes up on take off

Old 04-17-2003, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

Nope don't work at a dealership... I would if I thought they paid enough. LOL I just mess around with them alot and stay on these boards and learn all I can about the machines. It is a hobby I guess you could call it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-18-2003, 06:19 AM
Trailblazer

The Shocks have nothing to do with what I am talking about. This is all Drive Train.

Old 04-18-2003, 11:01 AM
Pro Rider

I'd look at the belt first, it might need to be burned in

Old 04-18-2003, 01:24 PM
Trailblazer

Well I just got back from the dealership and that is kinda what they said. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img].
But, I would have to think that with 200 miles on it that it would be burned in.
I will have to check out the gap and take a look at it.
They said that they had 4 mechanics looking at it, and none of them could come up with
any solution.
I asked them if they had contacted Polaris and asked them and they looked at me like I was
stupid of them to ask.
Guess I will have to go out and BURN it in this weekend.. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I am just hoping that it is not the clutch or something that is going to break in the months to come
after the Warrenty expires. That is just how my luck goes..

Old 04-18-2003, 01:57 PM
Trailblazer

CrispyCritter,
Is your problem a slight "slip" followed by an abrupt engagement? Is it most evident when taking off from a standstill, especially in high range or after switching from reverse? Is there a bit of a clunk when it grabs? If so, I have the same problem.
My dealer was no help either, but the problem seems fairly common among Sportsman owners and I've seen some discussion on the topic in this forum. The best explanation I have is this: All the slight tolerences in the driveline add up to a fairly big slop. The older the machine, the worse it gets. It won't do any major harm, but is annoying. I don't think the comments about belts apply to this problem. Belt and clutch changes made zero difference on mine.
I'd appreciate suggestions from anyone with the same problem and a solution. Clueless know-it-alls please refrain.
Farmer123 seems to be the best source of knowledge in this forum. Maybe he can comment.

Old 04-18-2003, 02:37 PM
Pro Rider

OK I am assuming that both of you have EBS?? The regular clutch was also available for your models, both years. If it is EBS then the clunk is pretty normal as the rollers in the secondary are engaging with helix. Here is an explanation of that noise.

The ROLLER is in contact with is in contact the helix ramp cut on the way down(upshift),and on the back cut side of the helix on backshift,or on any deceleration. At low speed on and off the gas the EBS secondary rotates it's sheaves back and forth as the roller moves back and forth in the helix notch .THIS is the annoying low speed CLUNK that a lot of Polaris riders (myself included)know very well. The belt is supposed to be tight on this system to keep close contact on the sprague of the primary clutch(notice the larger hub with grooves in the EBS primary) This CLUNK noise is more noticeable on 600SP-700SP because of the two crown and pinion gears exaggerate the clunk as compared to the chain drive case on a 500ho.Polaris used a straight up back cut on the engine brake side of the helix to shorten the distance that the roller(and sheave)travel on the 600-700 to help lessen the clunk on deceleration.

OK, if it seems like that is not what is going on, then it could be a problem with the PTFE washer which happens alot, or the one way clutch drive, all of this is in the primary clutch. Look here to see what I am talking about. And last but not least, it could be the alignment of the clutches. If it is grabbing erratically then the primary ,ay be grabbing the belt to tight too soon and not allowing it to work how it is designed. If farmr123 has more to add that is fine, but from what I have seen, these are the most common reasons for this happening. Let me add you could also have a worn spring in the primary, or other worn parts. If you do the test of making sure the belt returns to the center of the primary clutch, the center to center between shafts is 10", and the belt deflection is right, then you have worn parts. That simple.

Quick Reply: 2000 Spotsman jumping on takeoff