ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polls (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polls/)
-   -   Helmets (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polls/305671-helmets.html)

scrambler400enoge 01-27-2009 06:30 PM

Helmets

I always have a helmet on except when parking.

stillV1 01-27-2009 06:52 PM

Helmets

Wearing a helmet is a given for me too!...But as the others have said I do not wear one if I'm plowing or some other job...anything else...it's always on[img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

bcdudley 08-01-2009 01:24 AM

I don't wear one. I don't even have one, but 99% of the time I am riding, it is less than 10 or 15 miles an hour on smooth well carved out trails or calichi rock roads. we ride in small groups that are really in no hurry to get anywhere.

Stoopidbot 08-01-2009 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by bcdudley (Post 2827635)
I don't wear one. I don't even have one, but 99% of the time I am riding, it is less than 10 or 15 miles an hour on smooth well carved out trails or calichi rock roads. we ride in small groups that are really in no hurry to get anywhere.

It only takes one sudden mistake to bounce your head off the ground at 15mph...it's your noodle!

Polarat 08-02-2009 07:59 AM

I never wear one, don't even own one. I know I should,though. When I get the Scrambler up and running, I'm gonna be sure to get a matching brain bucket!!

Specta 10-27-2009 12:48 PM

we don't wear helmets either

1mojave03 10-27-2009 05:21 PM

If I leave the yard....helmet goes on,gloves on, and goggles. I've been thinking about getting a chest protector. No helmet around here will get you in trouble.. sooner ar later.:eek:

jpewther 10-27-2009 07:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I ALLWAYS wear a helmet. Heck if I didn't have to warm my quad up I'd have it on before i hit the ignition. One of my good friends lost a sister cause she wasnt wearing a helmet. Was going to fast on a banshee and flipped. Got launched into a tree. She died in the hospital the next day.

This also touches another point. Thats riding double. You should NEVER ride double. The article and picture below is my friends sister. Think about it

Attachment 20402 GOWERS CORNER -- A Pasco County girl whose all-terrain vehicle crashed last week has died from her injuries. Kaitlin Bolin, an 8-year-old second-grader at Mary Giella Elementary School, died Wednesday morning at St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa. Her family agreed to donate Kaitlin's organs for transplant. Loyless Funeral Home in Land O'Lakes is handling burial arrangements. Mary Giella principal Cara Allen said Kaitlin's aunt informed the school of her niece's death Wednesday afternoon. Allen telephoned parents of Kaitlin's classmates and arranged for grief counselors to be at school when students arrived Thursday. "It's difficult for them to grasp," she said. "Some are dealing with it better than others. We're trying to keep things as normal as possible." She said some of the students wrote letters to their deceased friend, who she said "had that glow." "She was a very loving, very pleasant child, who had lots of friends," Allen said. Kaitlin fell into a coma after she toppled from an ATV she was riding on Kent Grove Drive shortly before dusk on Feb. 11. Her 14-year-old sister, Ashley, was driving and rear-ended another ATV, the Florida Highway Patrol said. Kaitlin's father, Tony, is a supervisor at 41 Truss north of State Road 52 near Land O'Lakes. Many of the company's 65 employees plan to attend services for Kaitlin. Owner Terry Burcaw praised Tony Bolin for seeing fit, despite the crushing news, to save other people with Kaitlin's organs. "Hopefully, there are two human beings who will lead more fruitful lives," Burcaw said. Allen said students and staffers will do everything to support Kaitlin's brothers, Anthony,and Dustin third-graders at the school. One of Pasco's smaller schools, it has 638 students and is tightknit, Allen said. "There have been a lot of hugs and a lot of love today," she said. And we all love you kaitlyn R.I.P

MooseHenden 10-28-2009 06:49 AM

Sobering post, Jpewther. I've hit my head pretty hard walking or working at carpentry. Enough to almost knock myself out. A lot of people say, "That explains things." Not sure what they mean by that??? But, if you can hurt your head tripping at a walk, it makes sense to me that the damage goes up exponentially every mile you go faster. A no brainer is a rider without a helmet.

TexasRoadlawyer 01-07-2010 11:15 PM

If I just start the engine, no helmet. If I put it in gear, you can bet your life I will have a helmet on, even when backing it off the truck.

The reason a crash is called an "accident" is because you didn't plan on it happening...otherwise it's called a "stunt".

My own thoughts about the helmet debate are this...if you are a consenting adult and don't want to wear a helmet, okay...BUT...don't expect me to spend tax dollars on your brain-dead butt laying in a vegetative state in a hospital somewhere because you chose to ignore the laws of physics. Either have enough insurance to cover the costs of your coma, or expect someone to pull the plug. The money wasted on cleaning your bedpans can be better spent on educating future riders about helmet safety.