Polls Post your Polls here
View Poll Results: Why do you use fuel additives? (if you do)
Treating ethanol related issues
22.22%
Increase octane rating
0%
Improve gas mileage
0%
Clean fuel system and engine
33.33%
Keep gas fresh
38.89%
Increase engine power and performance
0%
I do not use an additive
5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Why do you use a fuel additive? (If you do..)

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 09:43 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

I think the wording may be the difference. If you're using it before you have ethanol related problems, you haven't had the problems from it.

But by doing so, you won't have the problems so it's kind of a catch 22.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:22 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even fresh gas does not cause vanishing so you can put "cleaning fuel system" under fresh gas as well.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TLC
Can't see "Increase octane rating" Its a well know fact that using High test gas on any machine that does not call for it is just a total waste of money.
Fact or Fiction?: Premium Gasoline Delivers Premium Benefits to Your Car - Scientific American

More
Paying a Premium for High Octane Gasoline? | Consumer Information
Your post is absolutely correct. If your car/bike is not designed to run premium then buying it is a waste of money.

For octane boosts it works like a sliding scale. So if you buy 87 octane, 104+Š will boost your octane more than if you used it in 93 octane fuel. In reality, if you use an octane boost in 93 you're really not going to see much of an increase in octane rating. You will, however, still be using a very effective complete fuel system cleaner with 104+Š Octane Boost.

104+Š Octane Boost is a boost you would use when you're out on the road, need to fill up the bike/car and are unsure of the quality of fuel you are buying. There are many areas across the country where 87 octane is all you can buy.

Originally Posted by TLC
Isn't " Treating ethanol related issues" and "Keep gas fresh " almost the same thing?
There are many issues that ethanol can cause. One of which is certainly shelf life. Today's ethanol blended gas can begin to break down in as little as 30-45 days.

Another issue is rust & corrosion throughout the fuel system. You want to use a high quality ethanol treatment that has water removing capabilities in addition to rust & corrosion inhibitors.

Originally Posted by Scootergptx
I use it mainly for cleaning purposes. The bike I also like something that helps with condensation in the tank. Smaller tank, so that can be a problem. Especially since it sits outside in the elements.

I got elements inside the house too, but our table isn't periodic.
The best thing you can do to help prevent condensation in the tank is to keep it as full as possible. We (along with many others across several industries) recommend equipment be stored about 95% full, add a high quality fuel stabilizer, then run the equipment for about 5-10 minutes. This ensures there is as little room as possible for condensation to cause rust and corrosion. Additionally, the fuel stabilizer will keep that fuel from breaking down for a period of time.

STA-BILŠ 360° Protection adds another element to treating fuel for storage. Even when you try and fill the tank as full as possible, there will be some space left where the tank or other components of the fuel system are exposed. STA-BILŠ 360° Protection emits a vapor that coats metal parts of the fuel system to help prevent rust & corrosion both above and below the fuel line - where no other additive can. This product is also guaranteed to keep fuel fresh (E0 - E85) for 12 months.

Have a happy New Year!

Last edited by STA-BILŽ; 12-31-2014 at 02:00 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 12-31-2014, 02:42 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Question I have on the Stabil 360 is that does it have the same equivalent of stronger ethanol protection that Stabil marine supposedly has(double that of Stabil red) or is it closer to the original Stabil red in ethanol protection content,but also includes a corrosion inhibitor? The old red Stabil just never did the job for me had problems with it even if double dosing,but the Stabil Marine has been great. Just starting to become a little confusing to me that you have three products now.
Just looked on your website and saw this: "STA-BIL 360°: This revolutionary new fuel additive releases a corrosion fighting vapor inside the fuel system, that coats ALL metal parts of the fuel system, where other additives can’t reach --including ABOVE and BELOW the fuel line. Available in both automotive and MARINE versions."

Last edited by old polaris tech; 12-31-2014 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Found addition info..
Old 01-01-2015, 05:24 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use marine sta-bil in all the small engines year round, and in the RV when it gets stored for the winter. I also run a tank with seafoam through every spring to make sure all the fuel systems are clean.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Question I have on the Stabil 360 is that does it have the same equivalent of stronger ethanol protection that Stabil marine supposedly has(double that of Stabil red) or is it closer to the original Stabil red in ethanol protection content,but also includes a corrosion inhibitor? The old red Stabil just never did the job for me had problems with it even if double dosing,but the Stabil Marine has been great. Just starting to become a little confusing to me that you have three products now.
Just looked on your website and saw this: "STA-BIL 360°: This revolutionary new fuel additive releases a corrosion fighting vapor inside the fuel system, that coats ALL metal parts of the fuel system, where other additives can’t reach --including ABOVE and BELOW the fuel line. Available in both automotive and MARINE versions."

STA-BILŽ 360° has the same formulation as their respective non-360° label name (Protection or Marine) with the additional benefit of the Vapor Corrosion Inhibitor technology that coats metal components above the fuel line.

So technically STA-BILŽ Marine/360Ž Marine have the highest concentrations of the fuel system cleaning package. As such, they treat a great deal of gas but we do recommend the dose be doubled for storage purposes. The reason being that when you switch over from a fuel stabilizer to an ethanol treatment the chemistry does change a little bit. When you cram all the "ethanol treatment" type of additive packages into a fuel stabilizer you're naturally going to lose a little fuel stabilization capability.

I apologize for the confusion. It is really a matter of use of equipment/gas and that is where all of the different products come in. If you mostly store gas then STA-BILŽ Storage is your best bet because as is, it is technically our most effective fuel stabilizer. The STA-BILŽ 360° Products are our premium products that come with additional technology that is unlike any other technology on the market today.

Hopefully all of that rambling helped answer your questions. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions

Old 01-05-2015, 04:31 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Double dosing isn't a problem with me,it's what I do anyway.Thanks for the explanation.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:17 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm. Sounds like I need to start picking up the 360 Marine.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:32 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My free samples are being delayed by weather in Illinois but they are coming. Thanks Sta-Bil.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
My free samples are being delayed by weather in Illinois but they are coming. Thanks Sta-Bil.
No problem at all! Please let us know if you have any questions once you receive the samples.

Have a great day

Quick Reply: Why do you use a fuel additive? (If you do..)