ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Riding Gear (https://atvconnection.com/forums/riding-gear/)
-   -   Get riding boots! (https://atvconnection.com/forums/riding-gear/378738-get-riding-boots.html)

Kyle Janulis 06-04-2019 06:58 PM

Get riding boots!

Get riding boots!
I wanted to share this story that just happened over the weekend and I wish I heard it before going riding with my buddy. Riding boots are very important on ATVs. Helmets are your number 1 but your number 2 is proper boots. I didn't realize how important they actually are until after this weekend. So my buddy and I were out riding around on state trails in the middle of nowhere. Things were going great. I bought some riding boots prior and this was the second time using them I didn't really care for them at first but got used to them by the second day. He was wearing just plain ol work boots. Last day and last ride he was following me and I swerved around a puddle. He swerved but didn't make it between the puddle and this mound of dirt on the side. He flipped up into the air fell off and rolled when he hit the ground then the atv came down on top of him and crushed his leg. He broke his fibula and it tore all of the tendons in his right leg. He needs surgy and is stuck with two metal plates for life. Now riding boots may not have prevented the break but with full riding boots, I think the situation and injury wouldn't be nearly as bad. I have done some research since and found that this kind of injury is actually very common for rider without riding boots. So glad I got mine and it's scary that something like that can happen in an instant. I just wanted to share this story because I used to ride in old skater shoes and this could have very well been me. I wish we would have come across this and known about the dangers of not wearing the proper riding boots. They are not just to look cool and keep you from water and mud they are actually protective and should always be worn. Lessoned learned.

nachop 06-06-2019 12:50 AM

Yes, riding boots are very important. Several years ago, while riding in some sand and desert grass, my right foot got caught on some barbed wire that was buried. I was doing about 15 or 20 mph and didn't even know what had happened until I came to an abrupt stop. Because the wire was pulling my leg down on the foot peg, I only felt a very strong pull on that leg. As I said, strong enough to bring me to a complete stop almost immediately. It was then that I noticed the barbed wired. I also noticed that the front of the boot had some pretty serious scrapes and a pretty deep and long gash in the protective plastic plate. I cannot even imagine what my leg would have looked like had it not been for my riding boots. Hopefully riders will take note of your and my experience and always ride with proper safety gear. A $100 pair of boots is a lot cheaper than a trip to the hospital.

Kyle Janulis 06-06-2019 10:55 AM

Wow that's crazy! I never thought they were so important I just thought they were convenient for keeping water and mud out as well as walking through it if you are stuck. Glad you are alright though and had the boots.

nachop 06-06-2019 07:38 PM

Thanks. And who would have imagined getting caught by buried wire in the middle of nowhere?

Kyle Janulis 06-06-2019 07:40 PM

Yeah that's some scary stuff good thing you didn't happen to fall onto it or anything

Kymco 450i 07-04-2019 03:14 PM

Another reason I prefer my SxS....scary stuff can happen riding a quad or bike.....