Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

turbo charging a banshee

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 03:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo charging a banshee

I was surfing the net looking for ways to make my ATV street legal. I came across this web site that had 2 custom street legal banshee's it has info about the bikes, pics of the builds and links for were he got parts. One link caught my it read A&S banshee turbo kit - stock 42hp turbocharged 124hp. but the link didnt work. Before I thought about turbochargeing an 2 stroke but I guessed it wouldnt work because the boost would keep or force the reed valve open. I tryed finding this kit or info about it but no luck does any body on here have this kit, heard about or know were I can get I would really like too know.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider

I found more sites with links for this A&S kit the site they send me to is bansheeracing.com but there links dont work and that site also doesnt work. All the forums that mentioned it are from 2003 so my best guess is this kits is not made anymore. So it looks like I'll b sticking with turboing a 4 stroke

Old 05-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

I remember an old mag article about turboing a 2 stroke. It works fine. Remember, a turbo just creates a higher atmosphere for the engine to work in. It works now at 14.7 PSI, right?

Old 07-11-2008, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider

14.7 psi is the amount of boost that usally doubles the engine output ever psi of boost gives about 7% gain in horse power

Old 07-11-2008, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider

Turbocharging or supercharging a 2 stroke can be done. The reed valves aren't really affected since they are downstream of the charger and the entire system including both sides of the reeds and the crankcase should be at the boosted pressures. The air charge density is increased as well as the temperature of that air due to compression. Also a increase of air will require an increase in fuel.

The concerns you would have are wether or not the pistons, combustion chambers and connecting rods/crankshaft could take the increased forces and heat. Also the seals in the crankcase and cylinders will be under significantly higher pressures. Detonation/pre-ignition are also a concern.

Lubrication and mixture issues must be addressed to ensure the entire engine doesn't self-destruct. Durability/longevity will definitely be affected.

You can make a little power for a long time or a lot of power for a little time.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: exrider91

14.7 psi is the amount of boost that usally doubles the engine output ever psi of boost gives about 7% gain in horse power</end quote></div>

14.7 PSI is what we live in, what we breath and what a naturally aspirated engine works in normally (all at sea level of course). 14.7 PSI "of turbo boost" provides a total of 29.4 PSI of working pressure. Double pressure and "in theory" double power, but other factors will prevent it from truely doubling. There is no reason a turbo will not work on anything unless the higher exhaust than intake pressure becomes a problem, like with a 4 cycle engines camshaft with a large valve overlap.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: headpressure
Durability/longevity will definitely be affected.
</end quote></div>

Depending on design and how it is operated, a turboed engine can last longer than a NA engine at the same power levels. This is based on the fact that a turbo can make the same power at less RPMs, and keeping RPMs down is the key to durability/longevity.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: COTU

Depending on design and how it is operated, a turboed engine can last longer than a NA engine at the same power levels. This is based on the fact that a turbo can make the same power at less RPMs, and keeping RPMs down is the key to durability/longevity.</end quote></div>

Agreed.

But a NA engine may not have sufficient strength to withstand the added forces of the turbo. Two strokes inherently run at high rpm's and lowering it too much can take it too far out of the power band.

It's best if the engine is designed for a turbo. That way correct compression ratios, timing, etc. can be designed.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>There is no reason a turbo will not work on anything unless the higher exhaust than intake pressure becomes a problem, like with a 4 cycle engines camshaft with a large valve overlap. </end quote></div>
Tell me what happens when the piston uncovers the ports in a two stroke and the intake charge under positive pressure blows in the cylinder??

Tell me where the turbo oil is going to come from?

How will you pump that oil?

How will you cool that oil?

These are just a few problems with turboing a two stroke. Can you do it? Sure, but, there is a reason these companies went out of business.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:23 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Doctorturbo

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>There is no reason a turbo will not work on anything unless the higher exhaust than intake pressure becomes a problem, like with a 4 cycle engines camshaft with a large valve overlap. </end quote></div>

Tell me what happens when the piston uncovers the ports in a two stroke and the intake charge under positive pressure blows in the cylinder??

Tell me where the turbo oil is going to come from?

How will you pump that oil?

How will you cool that oil?

These are just a few problems with turboing a two stroke. Can you do it? Sure, but, there is a reason these companies went out of business.</end quote></div>

The turbo is going to have to have some sort of sophisticated oiling system for sure. Heat is definitely the enemy.

I was just responding to exrider91's claim that a turbo system exists for a Banshee. I was simply stating that it can be done but with significant complications.

Quick Reply: turbo charging a banshee