Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor 50 Won't Start....help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 10:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor 50 Won't Start....help?

I have a yamaha raptor 50 for my son and out of the blue, it won't start. I've had carburetor contamination issues on this quad in the past, but this isn't it. At least then it would start. Now, it turns over but doesn't even start to catch. So I replaced the plug and it looks like its not even making a spark. I've now removed the spark plug cable and little electrical device just upstream of the plug. Has anyone had this problem? Does it seem like the electrical part just upstream is bad? I checked the fuse and that was fine too. Would rather fix it myself than pay the dealer. Help?

Old 06-21-2008, 01:57 AM
Pro Rider
My Bomb Busa is done now and WOW what a rush this thing is scary fast. I love it

You need to back track your electrical system first take out the plug hold the spark plug in your hand and put it to a ground and bump the starter and see if it gives you a shock if it doesn't do the same thing with the cap off and your finger on the wire if it gives you a shock the boot is bad and needs to be replaced. If no shock get a electrical meter and make sure the switch is on and see if you have 12 Volts to your coil wires that plug into your coil if you are getting 12 volts to the coil but no spark you most likely have a bad coil if you don't have power go back to the start switch and see if you have power before or after the switch that will tell you if you have a bad switch if none of these get you fixed I would get a good manual and trace everything out. I am not very familiar with your bike but those are some basics. Hope this Helps you.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Tpsycho,
Thanks very much for your help!

Old 06-23-2008, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider
My Bomb Busa is done now and WOW what a rush this thing is scary fast. I love it

Your welcome. Did you get it fixed?

Old 06-23-2008, 11:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well, i've tried a couple checks and haven't been able to solve it so, unfortunately, at this point, due to my lack of equipment, knowledge, detailed manual, and the time to work on it, I think I'm going to have to haul it into the shop! Thanks for trying!

Old 06-23-2008, 04:44 PM
Pro Rider

Check the on/off switch on the left handlebar. On my sons 80 the motor turns over if the switch is off but wont have any spark.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Speed....I'll try anything at this point if it means not having to pay the shop. Anyway, I know I put the switch to "run" when I try to start it, but I see what you mean, maybe something is broken there, and maybe it thinks its off. Will check. Thanks for taking the time to write!

Old 06-23-2008, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider

Sent you a PM AirWarrior

Old 06-23-2008, 06:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks....looking for it but it hasn't shown up yet!

Old 06-24-2008, 07:43 AM
Pro Rider

I sent it again

Quick Reply: Raptor 50 Won't Start....help?