98 polaris 300 new rebuild no spark

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 08:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 polaris 300 new rebuild no spark

I built my son a 98 polaris 300 xpress and rebuilt engine but I have no spark to plug, I've changed coil,coil wire, cdi box,new battery and key switch. I need to know what ohm spec for pulse coil and stater? I checked pulse coil and it homed at 128.3 ohms and stater was .001 ohms, does this sound right?

Old 04-18-2015, 09:00 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Pull the black kill wire from the cdi and see if you have spark. If you do,probably a wiring short in the ignition switch or left control switch or in the switches themselves.
Stator specs: Exciter coil: Black/Red to Brown/White 120 ohms
Yellow/Red to Yellow 0.3 ohms
Black/Red to Ground 0 (no short to ground)
Yellow to ground 0 "
White to ground 0 "

Exciter sounds with in range at 128.3 ohms (120 ohms +/-20%) All else has been changed except the main stator. Have had to replace plenty of them over the years.Item #6. (3084817)http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/f...1998&fveh=5458
Getting harder to find oem parts. Here's a NOS main stator.http://www.ebay.com/itm/3084817-NEW-GENUINE-POLARIS-STATOR-MAGNUM-XPLORER-XPRESS-Inventory-A6-/191469169478?hash=item2c9473ab46&vxp=mtr PLUS don't over look something simple like a resistor plug cap(5k ohms) shorting out if you didn't check it.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ya I pulled black off already and no spark, I changed parts off other atv and still no spark, should I have a 12v power to stater or pick up coil? I just checked for ohm and I've got same specs as you sent me. Ill check switch and let you know, thank you for answering me back

Old 04-18-2015, 09:42 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

This is just an old magneto triggered ignition. Supplies voltage to cdi,cdi to coil. No voltage into stator,just small current out that it produces.That's why you can crank them up with a dead battery,just using the recoil starter.Needs battery for starter and lights,plus voltage from regulator has to go somewhere.If battery is dead, voltage from regulator will usually will pop bulbs.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

K, I wondered if it got something from rectifier, I've had other atvs that lost spark from bad rectifiers. I'm starting to get a little stumped on this one. Is there any gap setting for pick up to flywheel? Or should I just get a stater?

Old 04-18-2015, 10:33 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by MATT BOOTH
K, I wondered if it got something from rectifier, I've had other atvs that lost spark from bad rectifiers. I'm starting to get a little stumped on this one. Is there any gap setting for pick up to flywheel? Or should I just get a stater?
The systems you're talking about are the newer dci ignition systems that had to have a battery and 12 volts direct to the cdi..There is no external pick up coil on this model that can be adjusted. It has an exciter coil which is internal and not adjustable.I've had plenty of exciter coils check out good,but had main stators go out. If you've replaced the cdi and coil,sounds like this is the only thing left.Look at his stator break down again.The exciter is the small coil.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 04-18-2015, 10:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

K, thanks for the info you all have been very helpful

Old 01-04-2017, 10:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default where to hook black wire back up

hey polaris tech
I am working on one of these couldn't get it to run
got the compression back to 120 now it fires right up
however it wont turn off
I just remembered that I had unplugged the black wire to to see if it was an ignition problem
but it was a couple weeks ago
cant remember where the black wire plugs back in
can you tell me which spade on the circuit board it goes to or should I just trace it down from a wiring diagram?
thanks much

Old 01-04-2017, 12:24 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Terminal board under the front panel is color coded. Just plug it back into one of the black terminal positions.

Old 03-25-2019, 12:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Old Polaris tech.....

So I have replaced stator pick up coil cdi box the spark plug coil and wire brand new carb new piston and rings.....but heres the problem.....it runs for maybe 30 seconds or 5 minutes then looses spark and dies but can start it right back up. Voltage and ohms check out and when I put my spark tester light on it lights strong then goes out and dies. I'm lost at this point

Quick Reply: 98 polaris 300 new rebuild no spark