General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

DIY Floating ATV

Old 12-29-2016, 09:45 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Floating ATV

Hi,
I'm working on plans to make my ATV float so it can be amphibious. I have a couple of ideas, and I'm not sure which is better. Can I get some advice?

1. An 8 ft. kayak on either side of the ATV to act as pontoons. I would create a frame of two metal bars under the center of the ATV that extend out and attach to a kayak on either side. Then I would tie the front and back of the kayaks to the atv to keep it from tilting forward and backward.

- or -

2. Using an inner tube on each wheel to give extra flotation. To keep the inner tubes in place, I would attach the inner tube to a round board using bungee cords around the circumference. The board would be tied to the wheel by running a steel cable in through those holes in the metal wheel.

I'm leaning towards option 2 because the inner tubes could be deflated when not in use, and it would be a lot less bulky to tow around.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

If you want to float an atv going wide is the right direction to keep it from tipping. Something like this might work: Clic Wheel Systems Ltd - Dual Wheels for ATVs and Off-Road Vehicles - Products - Quad Bikes

Old 12-29-2016, 03:13 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you plan on using the tires to paddle across the water it would be very slow. You would need an outboard motor to get decent speed. The Quadski goes 45 MPH on water and on land. Gibbs Sports Amphibians

Old 12-29-2016, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

A number of years back a company produced a flotation device for ATV's that were used for ice fishing, just in case they went thru, they would not sink. Can't remember what the name was but perhaps some research might give you some ideas.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Google "ATV Floats" there are a number setups you might get some ideas from.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:02 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Oh No
Google "ATV Floats" there are a number setups you might get some ideas from.
Thanks, I really like the drifter flotation system, too bad they're out of business. Basically my idea with the kayaks would be just like that with kayaks instead of the floats.

The other idea would be sort of like j-wheelz but with more flotation.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:04 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
If you plan on using the tires to paddle across the water it would be very slow. You would need an outboard motor to get decent speed. The Quadski goes 45 MPH on water and on land. Gibbs Sports Amphibians
Wow that looks fun... fun but expensive

How fast would it go with just the wheels pushing it? I would only go short distances, say a few hundred yards so it might be enough.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:11 PM
Moto Psycho

You would get there eventually. Maybe even slower than this.

Old 12-31-2016, 02:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think I remember seeing those quadskis many years ago in Dirt Wheels Magazine. They are outrageously expensive. You could buy a brand new jet ski and and a brand new 4x4 quad and still a lot of money left over instead. I did for fun look for used Argos on my local craigslist, found a couple in the $3000 range. I have seen some for really cheap before but nothing currently. If you could find one cheap that would be the ideal solution. They're already designed to be amphibious.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:31 PM
Moto Psycho

I looked into Argos a long time ago. Their top speed in water is 3 MPH. My top speed walking on dry land is 4 MPH. I just wouldn't be happy with a machine that's slower than I am. You'd have to mount an outboard motor to the Argo to get it above a crawl. It's no speed demon on land either but it is amphibious.

Search this Thread