Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Redcat 110cc engine swap question

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 11:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redcat 110cc engine swap question

Hi all,

SO I had picked up a Redcat MPX-110 for my daughter that has some issues. 1 of which was that it wouldn't shift. I've gotten it torn down and it appears that this wheeler sat for a while and the shift drum looks like it's seized up in the casing, it won't budge and I'm afraid of breaking it if I use too much force.

After adding up some of the parts I would need, gaskets, clutch bearing, etc. and including my time and aggravation, I think it would be worth it to just buy a new engine for around $200-250.

My question is about the mounting, I read somewhere that these things all use the same mounting pattern so any of the chinese 110cc engines will mount in this frame without issue. Can anyone confirm that for me?

Also that brings me to 2 more questions, would a 125cc engine mount in the same? Wouldn't mind upgrading this a bit while I'm at it. Any manufacturers preferred over others or to stay away from?

Thanks for any insight, wanna get this thing ordered so I can install it and get her riding, we've had it since last year and she hasn't been able to ride it yet.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:28 PM
Range Rover
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All the small manual shift Chinese engines I've seen use the same mounting pattern used on the original Honda Cub. I've only used Lifan 110cc and 140cc engines which are excellent. I understand that other manufacturers such as Loncin and Zongshen are very good too.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply. It's a semi-auto 3 spd engine, I'm finding a ton of auto engines w/reverse. But I've found a few of the 3 spd as well. I also came across some measurements of the distance between mounting holes, so I'll have to go out and get some measurements and see if it looks right.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:42 PM
Range Rover
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very likely the same mounting whether it has reverse or not.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ya, I'm actually considering going with the auto w/reverse rather than the 3spd semi auto. My daughter is 7 and new to riding so it might be easier to get started with.