Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

86 TRX 350 axle issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 12:29 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 TRX 350 axle issues

Hi all, new here, first post.

I have an 86 TRX Fourtrax I recently acquired. I have done little to it yet. I have owned it only for a month. A little background, I bought it from a motorcycle shop that CLAIMED it was a trade in an they didn't want to mess around with it. It was sold as kick start only, but after I dug into it I found the starter was actually wired backwards.

I couldn't believe it and was afraid I was going to fry something by reversing the leads, but the wiring diagrams and wiring did not match. End result, starter works perfectly.

I have been meaning to just sit down and go through the whole thing and check it out, but living in the country so much has gone on I have actually been using it. Until a few days ago, I was riding it in some of the back country and my wife said I see smoke from the front wheel.

I looked and sure enough it was hot. Bearing are shot, and I suspect the CV joint is also, as it seems there is a lot of play. I have a ball joint tool in the mail, to replace bearings, but I am still wading through the listings to make SURE I get the right one.

It's hard to get the right data for an 86. Seems it's an odd duck year.

I have located a pair of front CV joints and boots for an 87 so I was wondering if those will work?

Any advice you can give is appreciated. The bike runs very good, trans shifts a little stiff otherwise good. Body is about 75-80% with racks front and rear, so it seems like it is worth fixing.

I just need to get the front end going.

Old 05-06-2017, 01:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

Here is a picture of it. It looked nothing like this when I got it. Was 4 different colors and racks were rusted from one end to the other.

Forgot to mention it is 4x4, re the front bearings and CV joints.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:55 PM
Trailblazer

Heya - were you able to figure this out? If you got the aftermarket parts, the shops you bought from should be able to chat you through if it'll work for your model - I know the guys at AmericanCV are usually pretty good about making sure what you buy actually lines up with what you need.

How'd you go?

Old 07-22-2017, 09:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yea I about forgot about this post. Posted on the Honda forum too. Turned out to be wheel bearings. Replaced all 4 (2 on each side) in the knuckles.

Also had brake issues after that, but persistent brake bleeding and adjusting has that resolved too.

Been riding and using it a lot. So far so good.

Old 07-23-2017, 12:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default I got two

I've got an 03 and a 99 good engines ,bad reareands I trying to build a good one out of both big project, however I get I'm my Yamaha never a.problem just saying