Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2000 425 xpedition

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 03:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 425 xpedition

my xped had the carb run fuel into the crankcase and caused an overfill situation, i drained what would run out of the fill plug as i was out in the woods, the question that i have is would this cause the machine to bog and almost die when climbing a fairly steep heel with a run ( was in third cause it was muddy and needed the wheel spin lol) it took off fine got half way up almost died then barely made it to the top then, any ideas

Old 05-10-2017, 04:46 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like gas contaminated the oil and got to the clutch plates and the rear centrifugal clutch shoes. Usually a worn needle and seat,float stuck,etc causes the problem on the carb and needs to be rebuilt.I wouldn't just try to clean one.Complete ATV Carburetor Rebuild Kit for 00-02 Polaris Xpedition 425 ATV | ATV Parts | MFG Supply If mine(after the carb problem is solved) I'd do a cheap oil change and run for a few hrs going through all the gears and then do a change with the synthetic. Hopefully the clutches will start grabbing again. Can get a little expensive on a machine like this that holds 5.5 quarts of oil.

Old 05-10-2017, 05:22 PM
Trailblazer

[QUOTE=old polaris tech;3361263]Sounds like gas contaminated the oil and got to the clutch plates and the rear centrifugal clutch shoes. Usually a worn needle and seat,float stuck,etc causes the problem on the carb and needs to be rebuilt.I wouldn't just try to clean one.Complete ATV Carburetor Rebuild Kit for 00-02 Polaris Xpedition 425 ATV ATV Parts MFG Supply If mine(after the carb problem is solved) I'd do a cheap oil change and run for a few hrs going through all the gears and then do a change with the synthetic. Hopefully the clutches will start grabbing again. Can get a little expensive on a machine like this that holds 5.5 quarts of oil.[

I dont think it was slipping it was climbing good until about halfway up then would almost die then it would barely make it up to the top the rps seemed fine even when it almost died, i was wondering if the excess oil could cause it to bog on an incline, i am going to do the oil change trick for sure and plan to rebuild the carb, it doesnt overflow if i remember to turn the gas off when not in use. Thanks for the advice!

Old 05-10-2017, 06:25 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If it wasn't slipping then yes an over full crank case of gas contaminated oil could make it hard for the crank and piston to clog through. If the oil was thinned down enough possible you could have even had a little oily blow by on the rings that could have made it to the top of the piston and caused it to bog. It could be a couple things that may have happened but the main thing is hopefully no internal damage and the carb kit and a couple oil changes get it back acting normal.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:21 PM
Trailblazer

I dont think there was any damage it seems to run fine except under the hill climb situation also upon further inspection tonight i notice i had a wire off of the bat that may have shorted on a bolt under the seat ( its a wire i added) and i wonder when climbing if the shift in my position shorted only then it would of caused a short right off of the bat, would that cause it to die? Either way i am gonna fix it all thanks again.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:26 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

That's possible,but the main thing is get the gas/oil out of the crank case before any possible engine damage can happen and repair the carb..

Old 05-11-2017, 12:38 PM
Trailblazer

Absolutely gonna happen this weekend and i have the kit ordered!!

Old 05-29-2017, 08:02 PM
Trailblazer
Default Update

I changed the oil fixed the carb and now it pulls all the hills like a champ, had a bit of trouble the first couple of times till it cleaned up after that it pulls them like it used to. Now does anyone know the best place to get front end rebuild parts, my struts are worn out on the top, the arms bolts come loose and probably should be rebuilt too and it probably wouldnt hurt to replace all the bearing whhels swing arm etc and u joints are loose any ideas to get the parts needed, thanks

Old 05-30-2017, 04:37 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Partzilla,Cheap Cycle Parts,Cycle Parts Warehouse to name three online places for oem parts that are needed. Wheel bearings,u-joints,etc ebay,amazon usually has some good prices versus high dollar oem parts.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:44 AM
Trailblazer

aesome thanks i will check them out!!

Quick Reply: 2000 425 xpedition