Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Which Quad Is Bettor

Old 05-23-2017, 03:33 PM
Country Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Quad Is Bettor

Hey Everyone

I am debating between two different quads. The first is a 2006 Yamaha Raptor 700cc. It has upgraded exhaust, upgraded muffler, added front bumper, added nurf bars and looks like good condition. It does have worn down tires though. Price: $3,800

The second is a 2008 Yamaha YFZ 450cc. It has upgraded HMF exhaust, jetted carb, has new rear tires, has hand guards, and great condition. Price: $3,600.

I do just about all trail riding. I ride mostly in trails through the woods, but also some fields, and gravel, and other dirt. I have a few jumps but they are very small. I know the YFZ 450 is a great track and dune quad but would it be as good as the raptor 700 on trails? Also, are these good prices?

All comments will be helpful, thanks

Old 05-23-2017, 04:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a lot of chatter over these two machines. The 450 likes to rev and is a little more work on technical stuff, but it is a much better jumper. The raptor has more all day comfort and is a lot more comfortable if you don't ride at warp speed all day. That machine should have a power commander if it has the full exhaust. No commander or remap and I would run away.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:00 PM
Moto Psycho

Most people will probably tell you YFZ 450 for racing and Raptor 700 for trail riding and the YFZ will need more frequent maintenance.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The YFZ sounds like the better value. It costs less and its newer Not to mention it looks like you need to buy tires for the Raptor, more added cost.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:59 AM
Country Rider

What type of extra maintenance does the YFZ 450 need? And would the 450 be to wide for trails?

Old 05-24-2017, 06:34 PM
Country Rider

Also, does anyone now how wide this quad is? Any comments are appreciated

Old 05-31-2017, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Talking

Well a quick check on Yamaha's website should give you the specs on both machines as far as trail width etc. I think Frank nailed it when he mentioned maintenance. And here is why. First of all, the typical rider of sport machines is an aggressive person who is addicted to speed and expects performance. That means they push the machine to it's limits on more than an occasion. Take a race machine like the 450, and you can multiply that exponentially. Those machines will be down right abused. and even if it is maintained properly, there will be issues with it. You run something at it's limits all the time and it becomes somebody else's problem when they buy it. Personally, I would not touch a used race machine unless you are looking for a parts bike. Now this is typical, but as in everything there are exceptions to every rule, you might get lucky etc, but the odds are against that. So I would probably lean towards the trail machine. The Raptor 700 was replaced by the 770 I believe. The chassis are identical. Since you are from Michigan, they have some issues up there with trail width anyway, and you may be pushing it depending on where you ride. I owned one of these a few years back, and I really love sport machines, but since I have several quads, and my riding gravitates to trails with the occasional mud hole, and the chances of getting stuck are higher because I usually ride alone or in small groups (Family), I have pretty much divested myself of true sport machines. I like the comfort of a new utility with 4 wheel drive, Power steering and a winch etc. But at 62, with a bum right leg from crashing a sport quad one to many times, and a survivor of double bypass surgery, I think my speed days are over. That has not stopped me from picking up a new 850 Renegade in the past couple months though. I am still breaking it in. And that is sitting next to my 850 XMR that is my new work grunt machine around the house. I really miss that Raptor though. But it had gone nearly 2 years without a leg thrown over it and I needed the space for my Renegade. And Mrs DB's Christmas yard decorations. OMG, don't ask... People that have been on this list as long as I have been and know what I am about will tell you I am a big advocate for fun safe riding. I just feel I'd rather be riding on my 4x4 machine than trying to tug a sport machine out of boot sucking mud without a winch or the proper tire for such. Sure you can do it, but eventually it will bite you. Lastly consider a Utility machine. They can be a year round machine where a sport machine is challenged in the winter. I plow snow with mine where I live. Drag trees for firewood etc. That XMR is good for more than just mud.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Last point, those prices are just starting points. NEVER pay what they are asking. throw them a bone at 10% less. Not a penny more. And if it is a dealer, make them throw in a warranty . It probably won't be for more than 90 days, but that should give you time to ride it and see what needs work. Maybe even have them throw in some new tires. there isn't a dealer out there that downs have some take offs lying around.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:41 PM
Moto Psycho

The Raptor 660 was replaced by the 700 that they still make. The Raptor is 45.5" wide and the YFZ is 48.8", which is a fraction wider than my Sportsman. The Raptor will fit down the 50" trails we have in Michigan easier because it's 3.3" narrower. The Raptor is 17 pounds heavier which is nothing. Yamaha doesn't have the horsepower listed on their website but what I heard is that they both have about the same amount of power. The YFZ's 11.8:1 compression ratio is higher than the Raptor's 10.0:1. For a 449cc to put out as much power as a 686cc it has to push the engine harder which is why they need more frequent maintenance. The YFZ 450 was made to race, plain and simple. The Raptor 700 sounds like a better choice for trails.

P.S. The Grizzly 700 is up to 708ccs now but the Raptor 700 is still 686ccs. I don't know if they'll ever bump that up too or not.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:51 AM
Country Rider

Ok, thanks a lot everyone. Im still not sure if I'm going to buy it, but I'm for sure going with a raptor 700. The YFZ 450 is just to much work and extra maintenance. The Raptor is a lot easier, and quite bait better at trails anyway. Thanks everyone

Search this Thread