Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Help wiring for winch switch, please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 01:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help wiring for winch switch, please!

Looking for a little help- I am adding a winch to my 2010 Grizzly 350. I have been able to mount the solenoid under the seat. Now I am looking for the best (easiest) place to attach the red wire for the switch. It says it should be to a keyed "on" hot wire. The winch works in/out when I touch the red wire to the positive battery terminal. Where would be the best place to tie into the wire harness permanently? I haven't removed the light gauge panel yet, but I think it must connect to another wire under there.

Thanks for the info!

Attached Thumbnails Help wiring for winch switch, please!-20170525_142959.jpg  
Old 05-25-2017, 05:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Personally, I wouldn't run it to a switched "Hot" line - I'd run it directly to a battery post and add the terminal to the winch red wire so you can just screw it onto the battery.

If it's a wireless receiver type, wiring it to the battery means the receiver will always be powered on, but it's a tiny amount of current.

If you want to splice it in to a switched hot, you're going to need a wiring diagram unless there is an accessory plug somewhere up front that is already switched.

Also pick a wire guage that's thing enought to carry to current - about equal in size to the winch red wire.

Good luck

Old 05-25-2017, 07:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Thanks!

So after some YouTube videos and climbing around my atv, I was able to connect to the wire that becomes hot coming out of the ignition. I found a connector that I was able to take apart, and then using my meter figure out which was hot and which was switched. The wires are the same gauge, too.

Thanks for the insight.