Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Looking For Polaris Outlaw 50 Wiring Diagram

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 12:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking For Polaris Outlaw 50 Wiring Diagram

I've got an Outlaw 50 that has had a wire cut. I'm having trouble with the charging as well. Pretty sure the regulator is bad - it seems to drop the engine RPM when plugged in and the output is -6v if the red/black are the output wires. It looks like the fused wire from the battery has been spliced in to the wire where I think the cut wire should go. This thing is a rat's nest! A wiring diagram would be a REAL big help. Thanks.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:41 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If you're patient let this free manual load up.2003 50/90 model but doesn't matter as all the 2 strokes whether a Sportsman,Predator or Outlaw were the same.Just body differences. 2003 Polaris Scrambler 50-90 Sportsman 90 Predator 90 Service Manual[1] - Documents If it doesn't work,here's the same manual for 5 bucks.2003 Polaris Sportsman 90 Service Manual PDF Download Or here's the diagram.

Attached Thumbnails Looking For Polaris Outlaw 50 Wiring Diagram-bg67.png  
Old 05-26-2017, 03:15 PM
Trailblazer

Oh man... thank you SO much!

Old 06-02-2017, 02:10 PM
Trailblazer

It would appear I was a bit premature in that thank you. I was waiting for the regulator to arrive before I relooked at this. Now that it has, I have noticed that the diagram is different/wrong than what I actually have. For one thing, colors are slightly off (two yellow/red wires on the regulator instead of yellow/red and white). For another, there are only four wires connected to the alternator harness - and only four places - instead of five wires in a six position connector. The resistors on the diagram are labeled 4.3 ohms, while the actual resistors are marked 48 ohms.

With the alternator connector plugged in, those resistors measure 1.2 ohms. With the connector unplugged, they read instead 23 ohms - I assume the resistors are wired in parallel.

Also, the regulator is reading NEGATIVE voltage - about 3-4 volts. I didn't measure this output before I connected the new regulator so I don't know if it was fried by the wiring or what. It was running HOT before I shut the ATV off and it was dropping the battery voltage down to about 11.6 volts.

Any advice will be GREATLY appreciated. This is why I hate working on something someone else has screwed with.

-=[ edit ]=-
Just for the hell of it, I put a regulator/rectifier from a lawn mower in place of the original unit. Is actually acts like it's trying to charge, but it's REALLY loading the engine down. Without the regulator and the engine running, the battery is measuring 12.22 volts. When I connect the regulator to the battery and rev the engine up, the voltage increases to about 12.54 volts, so it is putting out a higher voltage than the nominal battery voltage. I am charging the battery now so I can test it on a fully charged battery, but I'd still like to know why the OEM regulator is acting like it is.

Old 06-02-2017, 02:36 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Get the correct regulator for your year model whether it's the older two stroke or 2007 and later 4 stroke.Polaris Outlaw 50 regulator | eBay

Old 06-02-2017, 05:47 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Get the correct regulator for your year model whether it's the older two stroke or 2007 and later 4 stroke.Polaris Outlaw 50 regulator | eBay
It's a 2008. This is the (wrong/defective?) regulator that I originally bought -
Amazon Amazon

Old 06-02-2017, 07:02 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Makes a difference in wiring in the manuals I posted for a 2 stroke not a four stroke like you have. 2008 showed the Predator 50 and the Outlaw as a 90.Make sure which year and size you have.http://polaris-atv.brssm.com/index.html

Old 06-05-2017, 11:23 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Makes a difference in wiring in the manuals I posted for a 2 stroke not a four stroke like you have. 2008 showed the Predator 50 and the Outlaw as a 90.Make sure which year and size you have.Polaris ATV Service Manuals PDF Download
OK... yeah, that's much better, but the wiring seems to be right, so I don't know why the regulator shorts out to the frame whereas the lawnmower regulator seems to work fine. I'm just going to bolt the lawnmower regulator on and go with it. If it works........ I just HATE not knowing the WHY. Thanks again.