Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Arctic Cat 300 hoping for help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 04:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arctic Cat 300 hoping for help.

OK people I need serious help, for my Arctic Cat this time. Went riding yesterday and put 11 miles on the machine but at about the 8 mile mark while sitting on an incline while others were stuck in the mud my machine started to die every time I shifted into gear, both forward and reverse. I was able to keep it running if I had a push to get rolling before shifting to first gear. Without the push all it would do is lurch forward and die with a rattle. Hoping that someone has unfortunately had similar problem or has a direction to go to fix. Thank you in advance.

Old 05-28-2017, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider

Couple things that come to mind, how full is the gas tank? My AC400 will run out of gas when it looks like half a tank left, have to turn to reserve, then have 2.5 gallons left. Check that you are getting plenty of gas to the carburetor, by removing the gas line and let it run into a clean cup. It should flow easily. Check the gas vent for being free. Also when in doubt put in a new spark plug. You might even pump out the gas tank into a clean bucket. All 3 of my Arctic Cats, including the Diesel, had crap in the fuel tank, why, don't know.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

hydrex, thanks for the ideas. Not discounting your ideas but wouldn't it be harder to start and or quit running when just sitting there at idle which it will run until I shut it off or shift, that is what has me so baffled. Thanks again.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:33 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Does this machine have a reverse switch or reverse limiter? Could be shorting out when you place it in forward or reverse gear.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Update, after reading the manual I checked the adjustment of the clutch and it was way out of adjustment (as per manual) so I followed the manual to the letter and now I can shift into reverse the machine stays running but it goes nowhere, and it will not go into first gear. To me it sounds like the clutch went out on it. Before adjusting clutch I tried to shift into gear while holding brake pedal down tight, it shifted ran for about a second and died, but no rattle when it did quit.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

OPT, Where would I look for the "switch or Limiter"? TIA

Old 05-29-2017, 04:56 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Any online parts site should show if you have a limiter or switch of some sort that may be causing problems.Arctic Cat ATV OEM Parts, CyclePartsNation Arctic Cat Parts Nation

Old 05-30-2017, 02:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for the info. Still working on finding problem.