General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

2011 Polaris sportsman 500 ho problem!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 07:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Polaris sportsman 500 ho problem!

need help on how to remove and replace the cam, on a 2011 sportsman 500 ho. Thanks!

Old 06-17-2017, 08:17 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Remove the valve cover and cam rocker blocks.Remove the thermostat housing to get to the cam cover plate.This is where you pull the cam out. Remove the cam sprocket cover,remove the 3 sprocket bolts to remove the cam sprocket. Best way to time the cam back up is to use the plated links on the chain. This entails removing the flywheel and stator. Always mark the stator plate before removal. One plated link on the crank sprocket,two plated links on the cam sprocket dots. Like the pics shown here.https://atvconnection.com/forums/pol...ml#post3305250 Or you can do as I used to do without pulling the flywheel and stator, but you have to be very careful..https://atvconnection.com/forums/pol...ml#post3212906 2011 model? Why is the cam needing replacing?

Old 06-23-2017, 12:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the info, when not moving everything tuns smooth, but once you hit the throttle it starts to big and spit, I did some research and I read that the cam usually causes this issue.

Old 06-23-2017, 12:33 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Intermilan
Thanks for all the info, when not moving everything tuns smooth, but once you hit the throttle it starts to big and spit, I did some research and I read that the cam usually causes this issue.
On the older models (1996-2000) cams were a problem but not too much of a problem after they went to the HO cam. That's why I was wondering when you mentioned the cam on your 2011 model. First things first I'd do a simple tuneup,change plug,clean/ replace the air filter and check valve clearance. If tht doen't solve it then it could be trash in the carb jets if you have good spark. Could even be clutch or belt related but do the simple stuff first.

Old 06-23-2017, 01:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Okay I see, yeah I changed the spark plug(3 months ago) and the air filter (2 months ago) but I'll have to check the carb next, thanks for the help!