Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

YAMAHA For a VIRGIN

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 05:40 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question YAMAHA For a VIRGIN

Hello everyone !

I would like to start from the beginning. First of all I'm Tomas and I'm from small country in EU - Lithuania. I was dreaming about a quad since I first time encountered with it , I was 10 years old back those days ( currently I'm 20) . However, I never had a possibility to buy one for my self, luckily, today I said fSpam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word *k it , I have three months to buy it and i will do it. Then the real problems ocured, first of all I have to choose a model , I have to find a used one in a good condition and buy it without overtaking my budget (approx. 3000usd ) . It might look not a lot, but in my country it is a really decent amount of money for an atv ( especially for a 400 - 450cc ) . Now what I want to ask here is what do you GUYS suggest me ? Ofc Im talking about YFZ 450r vs Raptor 700. I know that Raptor is going to be more expensive , BUT, my friend had almost new Raptor for about 6-7 years and he said that the only thing he changed in that time of period was oils, filters and tyres. He said that Raptors are VERY reliable, they are powerful, fast and extremely comfortable. Now what about 450r, people say to me that it runs just for some moto hours and that after that you have to change cylinders, pistons and rings.. Also , that they are just for tracks and not as comfortable as Raptors. My priorities are trail riding, forest riding and I want to invest as less as possible. What do you think ? Is it true that driving YFZ450r is much more expensive than raptor , that it requires much more money to exploit it , that it is less comfortable, reliable ? So maybe then it is better idea to pay a bit more and practically do nothing else, than pay less amount of money , pick YFZ450 and then spend and spend money on its maintenance ? Or maybe you are going to suggest me another option not yfz nor raptor. I really need your help, thank you !

Old 06-20-2017, 07:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I think your idea of a lot of maint. on a YFZ450 is mistaken. They will go countless miles with no issues.
IMO, The 450 will handle and ride better.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

Maybe you can say something more about the choice ? And wouldnt the 450 lack of power after a month or two of riding ?

Old 06-20-2017, 10:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

OK. My doctor buddy had a raptor. It was dependable enough but too big and bulky.
He now has a TRX450R and wonders why he put up with the raptor for so long (his words).
The TRX has 10x more issue's that the YFZ.
NO, The YFZ will have great power loooooong after a few months. Unless raced every weekend you won't be pulling the motor apart for a very long time. Dare I say years?!
I raced a buddy's YFZ for a few races. I've never been a Yam fan but I'm impressed.
I feel you have been mis-led about the YFZ.
Good luck on your decision.

My 2fiddyR will beat em all.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

Oh , i didnt wanted to say that it will loose its power after a month or two, i mean am i going to feel that it lacks it by climbing , drifting, speeding .. i mean is it powerful enough for everything the 700r is for ? Also , mainly im going to solo drive or with my friend (has ktm exc 520) in the forests , there you need a lot of speed and power to make it go sideways on every single corner or wider part of the road , is it powerful enough to do that ? Another question is , if im going to wash it constantly, change good oils and filters on time, is it going to be as reliable as raptor, or every season i will be forced to invest a lot for irs maintenance? Once again im uploading a photo where im going to ride, i need it to be FAST, with LESS maintenance as possible and with as much POWER as possible to take care of these road going sideways under any gear.

Attached Thumbnails YAMAHA For a VIRGIN-img_0663.jpg  
Old 06-20-2017, 10:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

A guy up the road had his for years with no problems.
The 450 will slide better than a 700. It's more nimble thus very fast.
I bet you can't keep up with the KTM with the raptor. Unless that guy is slow.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You keep saying less maintenance, and that means towards the raptor. Don't be fooled by the engine size, as the YFZ is in a much higher state of tune plus being lighter and lower it puts power down just fine. In high speed situations the YFZ is always a better choice, except maintenance. Then again, you can't ride these as if the devil is in your heels and not maintain them. Sorry, but off road stuff needs frequent enough pm regardless of design. Ride them hard and you need to replace stuff as I'm sure your KTM buddy will attest to.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:48 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

I should add.. The raptor and YFZ are 2 different types of ride. The YFZ will do all the fun stuff you want, the raptor is more of a cruiser compared to the YFZ.
I wrenched for my DR. buddy when he had his raptor. It had little things need attention just like any other machine. Wiring the fan to run constant was one thing. The sensor seemed to go bad.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you guys ! When I'm talking about maintenance , don't get me wrong, Im not afraid of changing something when it's in need, but I want to minimise this as much as possible and like I have red, with YFZ you will have to change pistons and stuff like that every 60 hours.. I knew one guy who changed quads a lot and abused them really hard and I know another, who had a Raptor for about 8 years and it barely looked that its more than 2 years of usage. When change oils on time, filters, when you wash it constantly, when your not mudding it , when youre using clutch and not pushing it to the redline before every single gear, I think it can become really reliable, especially 700 , yes ? I wont take it in the back of my car to the track, im going to drive on my own everywhere and anytime , so its going be half of a cruise quad as well. The only problem now is to find a good one 700r and of course for as best price as possible.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:30 PM
Country Rider

Yes, get a raptor 700. I was checking into both of these myself and the raptor 700 is a lot better for you