Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

Just Joined

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 03:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Joined

New to the forum, new to ATV's and just purchased a 2016 Rhino 250

At my age, I thought that riding these would be easier but things have certainly changed over the years.

Thumb Throttle?

Weird Transmission. (I'm a 1 down 4 up bike rider)

My wife and I will be looking to add a hitch to the rear of our new ATV for hauling our garbage cans up to the corner and back.

Lee

Old 06-26-2017, 08:55 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks!

Old 06-27-2017, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Welcome.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:13 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello from Colorado. You purchased your ATV to get some work done for you, including hauling the trash to the corner. Good for you. I'm sure you can rig a hitch to the back of your Rhino.

I think thumb throttles were part of the early snowmobiles and ATV engineers thought them good enough. We tend to call quad style ATVs "bikes" as they have handlebar steering and you straddle the engine while riding. I wondered why they didn't have twist grip throttles like motorcycles. I think the serious handlebar steering needed while trail riding would make a twist grip throttle difficult to maintain constant engine power.

Most ATVs have Continuous Variable Transmissions, or CVTs. They are automatic in clutching and selecting the right ratio. Is yours a manual shift ATV? I think that is rather rare anymore.

I hope you enjoy your new ATV. There is an active forum here called "Chinese Brands" where you can learn more about your TaoTao.

David

Old 06-28-2017, 02:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, it is a manual transmission.

I have the darndest time getting it our of gear sometimes and have not figured out a method for addressing the problem when it happens.

I think some adjustments are in order.

It's a 4 speed and quite scary in the upper gears but the 250 motor doesn't seem to have a lot of torque as it will bog down going up a hill, which, requires some down shifting. Until I get used to the shifting, I'll be forever stalling it on an incline!

I do plan on checking out the Chinese Forum but thought I'd say "Hi" just to get things going.

Thanks for the reply!

Lee

Old 07-02-2017, 11:45 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by 19Lyds
New to the forum, new to ATV's and just purchased a 2016 Rhino 250

At my age, I thought that riding these would be easier but things have certainly changed over the years.

Thumb Throttle?

Weird Transmission. (I'm a 1 down 4 up bike rider)

My wife and I will be looking to add a hitch to the rear of our new ATV for hauling our garbage cans up to the corner and back.

Lee
Welcome im a grizzly fan but everyone has there choice glad you are getting out there i love it