Tao Tao 110cc ATV, turning over issue

Old 06-27-2017, 10:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tao Tao 110cc ATV, turning over issue

So I have a 6-7 yr old Tao Tao 110c atv. We were riding around awhile one day and **** if off. Went to start it the next day and it drained my jumper pack completely by attempting starting it 2 times. I was like wth?! Took it in garage and hooked up jumper cables from truck. Could smell it getting hot after a few attempts of turning over. Checked my positive wire from the battery and it was melted in multiple spots. Ordered and installed the following: CDI, Selinoid, starter, spark plug and voltage regulator. Still nothing. I'm lost guys. I have replaced everything I can think of. Timing is on, and valves are set.

What the quad does:
When I hook up jumper pack or cables it turns over once and kinda sticks. The positive and negative cables, starter all get hot when trying to turn it over. When I remove the spark plug it will turn over constantly. When I put my finger in front of plug hole it pops it off. When spark plug is put back in it turns over and sticks again.

I am new to the forum so sorry if I am doing something wrong here. Thank you all in advance and I hope we can figure this out together! I am not a super mechanic by any means.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you have the battery tested? I didn't see you mention anything about the battery.

Also, if driving through water, did you drain the oil...it almost sounds like hydrolock...try draining the oil and inspect for metal shavings/milky colored oil...with oil drained and plug cap/boot off plug (plug in cylinder though) try starting it and see if it turns over easier...don't worry...a couple spins w/o oil wont kill it, but make sure it wont start (remove plug boot/wire)...

Old 06-27-2017, 04:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

The battery is junk. That's why I use the jumper pack or cables to my truck battery.

The water thing is a good idea. I will have to ty that. I know the kids were running through a mud hole down here a few days before this issue and were covered. Can you explain hydroloc

Old 06-28-2017, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider

Hydra lock can occur when liquid displaces the area that is meant to be air...air compresses quite easily, liquids not so much (thus the concept of a hydraulic jack).

If your starter is new and a car battery is struggling to turn over a tiny 110cc piston, then something major is causing significant compression or obstruction (which is curiously released when you remove the plug). Did you verify that your exhaust valves are in fact opening?

Old 06-28-2017, 10:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for all the information. Appreciate it.

I'm hoping tonight I can find some time to do the waterlog checking and do what you said. As well as the exhaust valves

Can you tell me how I check and make sure my exhaust valves are opening? When I try it over and it spins one time I do feel the exhaust coming out if that means they are working?

Old 06-28-2017, 01:36 PM
Pro Rider

Usually there is a valve cover that can be removed to gain access the rocker/valve assembly. With that cover off and with the plug out you should be able to see the valve move through it's range of motion as well as measure valve lash. This video gives the general idea

A good shop manual is always a good place to start...

Old 06-28-2017, 06:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

So I drained the oil.. didn't notice any metal shavings or milky ness. Turned over a few times and it still spins freely without the plug in. Put it back in and it does one crank slowly and then if you hold it it does crank over like 30 seconds later just like before. I did adjust the valves using that same video prior to going to this site.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider

I know you mentioned a new starter, but I'd have that one checked for excessive amp draw. So...your starter is drawing too much and not putting out enough or your starter is not getting enough juice. I hate machines without a backup starting mechanism...

I'd also trace all wires to/from battery & starter and ensure there is no arcing going on...I'd also validate clean ground to bare metal...

Old 06-29-2017, 09:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm not good at testing this stuff. But I have 12.9 v on standing battery, 8-9 coming out of the stator into the starter as well as into the stator. All measured in D.C. Also put a new positive cable on just in case. I see no arching or other issues.

I did get a new battery btw.

Starter still gets hot after a few attempts at starting the wuad