Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

New guy looking into getting a new atv!

Old 07-07-2017, 08:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy looking into getting a new atv!

Hey guys, i'm here because i'm in the market for an ATV. There's a dealership that's about an hour away from where i'm at that has very good deals on some used ATVs. I'm a fairly big guy at 6'2" at 280lbs and i've got some decent experience with both ATVs and UTVs (haven't ridden many big bore ATVs). The ATVs that i'm looking at in question are both Suzuki king quads. They have a '14 king quad 400axi with about 7k miles for $2600 and they have 3 '16 king quad 500axi's from $5300-5600 with 1700-3600miles. I know the 500's are a little bigger motor wise with IRS and Diff Lock but my question is: "Is double the price really worth it?!?" The 400 seems like such a good deal. I would like to ride 2up with my wife as well so the 500 might be better for that but would the 400 be able to do so? Thanks guys!

Old 07-08-2017, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I'd personally go with the less used 500. Bulletproof reliability in a good all-around quad. If you're going to be on steep terrain, I'd not ride 2-up on a single rider machine. Diff-lock does make a difference in rocky climbs and deep mud or snow. I've seen where a bunch of us on Polaris machines scaled a 3' granite rock and a Suzuki couldn't because the rider forgot to lock in the full lock (extra step on a Suzuki). He put it in full lock and was able to crawl up and over the rock.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The 400 sounds like a good deal but 7K miles is a lot on an atv. That's probably comparable to 100K miles on a car or more. There are atvs that don't cost a lot more than that brand new. The Can-Am Outlander 450L, which has more power than the King Quad 500, I have seen priced at right at $5000 brand new for the base model. They also offer it in a 2up version, which would be better for hauling 2 people. I have a coworker who bought one, single rider version but added power steering and he loves it. He's about the same size as you and he finds it quite comfortable and plenty powerful. The power steering does add quite a bit to the price. He got power steering so his gf could more easily ride it.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:20 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Have you had a chance for you and your wife to sit on either together? They're both good quads, personally I'd go with the 500. But if your wife is more comfortable on the 400, I'd say get that one. Trust me. It's a whole lot nicer having someone on the back that is happy.

Old 07-08-2017, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

Don't ride 2 up on a bike that is not made for 2. Yes you can do it, but center of gravity is too far back, if you flip backwards, your wife will be in a really bad place. If you really want to ride 2 up safely, you should look for a Polaris 2 up, Arctic Cat TRV or Can AM, or, of course a side by side. Or, you can buy her her own ATV, hehe. Suzukis are awesome, but not for riding 2 up.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by scootergptx
Welcome to the forums.

Have you had a chance for you and your wife to sit on either together? They're both good quads, personally I'd go with the 500. But if your wife is more comfortable on the 400, I'd say get that one. Trust me. It's a whole lot nicer having someone on the back that is happy.
Actually yes we just got back from test riding both. The 500 is way more comfy and has a lot more getup and go. It's a 2016 with 2,700mi 272hrs and it's $5505 out the door.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by greg74
The 400 sounds like a good deal but 7K miles is a lot on an atv. That's probably comparable to 100K miles on a car or more. There are atvs that don't cost a lot more than that brand new. The Can-Am Outlander 450L, which has more power than the King Quad 500, I have seen priced at right at $5000 brand new for the base model. They also offer it in a 2up version, which would be better for hauling 2 people. I have a coworker who bought one, single rider version but added power steering and he loves it. He's about the same size as you and he finds it quite comfortable and plenty powerful. The power steering does add quite a bit to the price. He got power steering so his gf could more easily ride it.
I haven't checked out the outlanders but according to my local dealers webpage the outlander 450 starts at $5999. How bulletproof are the can ams?

Old 07-09-2017, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Check out the Polaris "450" too. At, a negotiable $5999 it's not that much more and you'd be riding a brand new quad with the same bulletproof 500 cc engine. 2017 Sportsman 450 H.O. ATV - Sage Green | Polaris

Can-Ams are pretty reliable too. Both the Polaris and Can-Am have single cylinders in the class we're talking about. Good low end torque. Not super fast but fast enough.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:51 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello from Colorado. The good folks here also helped me in my ATV decision last fall. There are some very knowledgeable folks here. Hydrex's advice is good. It is very wise to have a two up machine for a passenger. My ATV's safety literature is full of "no passengers" warnings.

You won't be disappointed in the higher horsepower machine. I'd go that route if possible.

David

Old 07-09-2017, 08:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Check out the Polaris "450" too. At, a negotiable $5999 it's not that much more and you'd be riding a brand new quad with the same bulletproof 500 cc engine. 2017 Sportsman 450 H.O. ATV - Sage Green | Polaris

Can-Ams are pretty reliable too. Both the Polaris and Can-Am have single cylinders in the class we're talking about. Good low end torque. Not super fast but fast enough.
Dont the sportsmans have issues with water getting into the clutch housing and messing up the belts?

Search this Thread