Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Suzuki King Quad

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 08:38 PM
Range Rover
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Suzuki King Quad

What can anyone tell me about Suzuki 750 King Quads? Looking at getting rid of one of my Honda Ranchers and getting a machine that is more trail friendly. The Ranchers are and have been bullet proof but with the type of riding we are doing we are getting beat to snot. Have adjusted the rear shock and let some air out of the rear tires but just didn't soften the ride enough for my wife. Found an '11 750 in our neck of the woods with 445 miles on it in excellent shape. Just don't know anything about Suzuki's. Have researched the Grizzly's, Can Am's, and some of the Honda's with Power steering and IRS but don't know much about the Suzuki. It is 3 hrs from us so would like to know that it is worth going to look at. How is the Engine braking on it? I know the Grizzly and Can Am work very well with hardly if any brake used going down hill. Thanks in advance for any knowledge and information you can pass my way. Tracy.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:08 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Personally I prefer the 500, same chassis but less "high tech" engine. They are pretty good from a reliability angle. Being EFI the fuel needs to be kept clean, fitting a new fuel filter involves removing rear plastic and fuel tank, then splitting the fuel pump (you are not supposed to be able to). The main problem with the 450 to 750 KQ is the frame is very weak. Low mileage trail riders probably won't need to worry, but anyone who puts heavy loads on the rack, uses it a lot, or tows a trailer, is going to break the frame. I got a 500 in last week for a new radiator (how the owner had stabbed the matrix I don't know,) and found the lower frame tube broken in two behind the RH footpeg. I had welded round the rear anti-roll bar when it came in last time. Welded it up , standing it on it's nose to get underneath. When I lowered it down, heard a twang and noticed the airbox vibrating, on checking I found the two chassis top tubes, both broken off where they join a cross member, and had been for some time. I welded them back on and told the owner, who has decided to get rid. His choice of new bike, another one. Yes, he likes King Quads that much.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:07 AM
Range Rover
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

merryman,
Thanks good to know. The machine we are looking at like I said only has 445 miles on it and has hardly been used. I just wish that we could find a way to make our Ranchers ride softer, but that still doesn't address the issue of power steering. As far as the frame goes I wouldn't be using it for work or heavy loads, maybe pulling or hauling an Elk once in a while but if I keep one of the Ranchers I would probably use it for that task. I guess looking at a Foreman Rubicon would be an option as an upgrade but would have to sell both Ranchers to make that happen and I don't have the extra $$$ lying around to make up the difference. We are also looking at a Can Am 2-up but those are even more expensive and have heard of exhaust heat issues, CDI and electronic issues, and that is from Can Am owners on the Can Am forum. Have one Rancher up for Sale I guess I'll see if it goes and have cash in hand to work with from that point. Thank you for your time.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just sold my 2009 KQ750 with about 1500 miles. I never had a single problem with it and IMO, was the best all around quad I've owned up to now. Very powerful, yet controllable power. Rides very comfortably and sips fuel. Will tow like a mule.

I added a custom front bumper, back cargo box, spot light, ITM 27" mud lites, gun holder and it served me well for 8 years. If Suzuki or Yamaha would have had a 2-seater ATV like the Can Am I now have, I would have probably bought one of them.

The Can Am is great, but IMO, Yamaha's and Suzuki's reliability are top notch. The only thing I would do if buying a new KQ750 is get the power steering model.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW,

I have pulled many things with my KQ750 and no frame issues at all. The largest was a 16' lowboy trailer with 15 square bales. The square bales are about 50# each and the trailer is about 1000#. This makes about 1750# being towed plus myself on the quad (200#). Did this several times. The only issue is the squatting of the IRS, but you can adjust the rear shocks to the hardest setting to help.