Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Panther 110 no start

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 03:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panther 110 no start

Hello everyone I have been reading threads and testing with nothing but frustration. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. The kids were riding the quad and it just stopped, it will crank fine but will not start.

The kill wire is disconnected from the cdi I have a good charged battery and I'm only getting 20v ac from the stator to the cdi with the cdi unplugged. With the cdi plugged in I show zero volts. And of course no voltage out to my spark plug. The cdi is a 5 pin ac version.

Old 09-10-2017, 02:27 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

First off, removing the kill wire works if the CDI is earth to kill, some are wired earth to run, so need the kill wire earthed. Are you getting a voltage spike from the trigger coil on the alternator when turning the engine over? Do you get any voltage spikes from the CDI to the ignition coil?

Old 09-10-2017, 03:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

The kill switch should be grounded to kill it if it is the same as the one on the handle bars. I took the switch apart there and verified. As far as the trigger voltage I thought I could only view it with a scope. Can you let me know the procedure for checking it with the multimeter? Thanks

Old 09-11-2017, 02:12 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Meter on AC, try with 20v scale, but they can produce anything from 0.2v to over 60v. Voltage to coil may be a lot higher, so try 1000v scale. Checking electronically just tells you that the components are producing something. If they are dead, change that component. To be honest, I usually check electronically as best I can, then go by substitution, plug, then ignition coil, then CDI, finally stator/trigger. Main thing is check that CDI is earthed or, if you fit a new one you will blow it, and once running, check regulator is not overcharging.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

I tested the trigger and got no dc voltage I get no ac voltage on the ignition village so I assume the cdi is bad?

Old 09-16-2017, 09:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

0 voltage change at trigger. Ground has good continuity. No ac voltage on the ignition power when connected to the cdi. Does that mean my cdi is bad?

Old 09-16-2017, 02:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Tried it. No voltage change at trigger and no voltage at all on the ac ignition power when the cdi is hooked up. Does this mean I need a new cdi?

Old 09-17-2017, 02:28 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Check everything at the CDI plug, with the CDI disconnected. If the trigger isn't producing any AC voltage when engine is spun on starter, it looks like the trigger coil is faulty. However they are often difficult to get at, and expensive, so be very sure it is faulty before swapping it.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

I see the trigger go from 0 to 0.2 and back with cdi disconnected.

Old 09-18-2017, 02:26 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Right, so you get voltages from both trigger and exciter coils on the alternator, but once the CDI is connected, no power to the ignition coil, when engine is spun on the starter, looks like it is the CDI then.