1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

110cc taotao wont idle in gear, bogs, wont pull itself

Old 09-18-2017, 07:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 110cc taotao wont idle in gear, bogs, wont pull itself

2nd owner of a taotao 110cc; picked this up last weekend, this is what its doing and what ive done:

It wont idle when its in gear; forward or reverse, even with the wheels off the ground.--tried adjusting the idle, when i get the idle screw set and pop it back into neutral, rpm's go sky high. I mean its bearly idling in gear with the wheels off the ground and hardly moving, then neutral and almost full throttle its seems like.

Also doesnt have any power when ridding it. Bogs down and cuts out when over half throttle (hard to baby it because it wont pull itself at all).--replaced the clutch discs, old ones were trash. Also have tried tuning the carb for hours; took it apart and cleaned it. Drilled the pilot hole out with a #80 drill bit, moved the needle from its setting in the middle grove up and down (re-tuning in between) New NGK plug (also ordered a hi-performance CDI, coil, and plug-should be in wednesday) Checked for and fixed air leaks, had one at the boot for the throttle cable and had another between the engine and carb. Also adjusted the valves, intake valve was WAY too loose and exhaust valve was too tight. set both to .004.

Ordered a 12 tooth front gear, comes in thursday. hope it gives it a torque boost. Another thing i noticed is that when i have the needle set higher, i cant seem to get the air adjust screw lean enough.

any help at this point is very much appreciated

Old 09-19-2017, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So - in neutral it idles fine and can be revved no problem? And then it bogs/dies in gear (F or R)? I know you replaced the clutch disks but I'm pretty sure there's still something very wrong with your drivetrain. There are a couple vids on youtube, but nothing overly informative. In one of those vids the drive gear that sits on the transmission was stripped...just something else to consider...as I think your carb is not the issue...

Old 09-19-2017, 04:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

ill have to see if i can upload a video to youtube and link it to show u guys what its doing. maybe i can tonight. it moves when in gear, just have to keep the throttle open a bit, but it does drive forward and reverse.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

try these links, maybe these will better explain

Old 09-20-2017, 09:47 AM
Pro Rider

ok...first...I'd check your compression to ensure you've got a good motor. I know it starts and revs fine without load, but once under load (where the engine really needs to work) it's falling flat. If all that checks out I'm back to the clutch/transmission...because it can't spin the wheels (off the ground) off idle it almost seems like it's "stuck" in high gear (kinda like starting in 4th gear on a stick).

I am not familiar with that auto clutch...but it might be shifting out too early or is just stuck and not back-shifting all the way...

If this is your clutch make sure you installed it correctly...I see a thrust washer and it needs to face the correct way (black washer in video - I believe)

Old 09-20-2017, 10:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

Also wonder about compression. I'll have to find a gauge, I'll do some more research on the clutch. Think this is a single speed forward and reverse transmission.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

ran compression test, have a weak 50psi; less than half what id like it to be. cam timing is good and valves are still adjusted to .004. gonna run a leak down test and see where its going, hope its as simple as a head gasket.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider

50psi...didn't think it could run on less than 90...is that gage good? Anyway, that might be your problem...

Old 09-21-2017, 01:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Anyone know the head bolt torque?

Old 09-21-2017, 06:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Took it apart, found a blow head gasket and cam guide gear in pieces. Guess I'll start there. Piston and rings looked great, may still replace. Cylinder looks fine.

Search this Thread