Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler 90

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 04:19 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrambler 90

Hey all. I'm picking up a Scrambler 90 for my son tomorrow. Anything I should look out for? It's a 2003 model.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:35 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If it's hard to start first thing in the morning or when the temp starts to get colder,block off the air box intake boot with your thumb. Makes starting so much easier even with the manual choke.Acquaint yourself with a cheap service manual that can help on service or any repairs. Worth the 5 bucks. Sportsman 90, Scrambler 90,Outlaw 90 all the same,plastic is the only difference.2003 Polaris Outlaw 90 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 09-20-2017, 06:10 PM
Trailblazer

Awesome. Thank You.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:41 PM
Trailblazer

Ok. So I picked up this bike knowing it wont start. The battery is toast, so I am using my jump box to try to fire it. If I hook the jump box to the battery wires, its like the bike is not getting any power. So I'm thinking the starter relay is bad? So I ordered one. If I place the red on the hot side of the starter and ground on the bike, the bike turns over but will not fire. It's like the bike is not getting spark. While bumping the starter, I placed a screwdriver into the plug wire and i did not see any spark. I'm drawing a blank as to what it could be. The bike not getting power and not getting spark I feel are two separate issues. What are your thoughts?

I also bought a foot piece for the kick start, so I will try to get it to fire that way. But, if there is no spark, even kicking the bike wont help.

Old 09-25-2017, 05:02 PM
Trailblazer

just decoded the vin, and i think its a 2002 Model.

Old 09-25-2017, 05:02 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

There is a 7.5 amp fuse for power to the electrics in a plastic holder stuffed down past the battery. You might check it. Also there is a starter interlock/brake light switch on the left brake handle. You have to pull the brake so the relay will power up and can send power to the starter. If the plunger is bent or shorted out,you can get them on ebay or amazon.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-0450...VYKUJc&vxp=mtr Make sure the safety switch plug on handle bars is in place also. Down load the manual I posted as it will answer many of your questions. If you still have spark problems you need to go through the electrical tests on the stator,coil,etc that it shows. 2002-2006 really doesn't matter on the 90 electronics or much of anything else as it's just the bodies that is different.http://polaris-atv.brssm.com/2002-Po...ce-Manual.html

Last edited by old polaris tech; 09-25-2017 at 05:06 PM. Reason: 2002 manual..
Old 09-25-2017, 06:30 PM
Trailblazer

I thought there was supposed to be a starter interlock/brake light switch on the handle, but didn't really see anything on the handle. I will check again when I work on it next. I also didn't see a fuse, but wasn't really looking either. I will also look for that next time. I did download the manual you posted earlier. I have it printed out in a nice folder so i can reference it. I left it at home this morning, as the bike is in my in-laws garage. Thanks for the quick response.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:37 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Old 09-25-2017, 09:51 PM
Trailblazer

Interesting. I was working on the hack job wiring going to the battery and didn't see a fuse. I wonder if they cut it out. I will take pictures for you when i work on it next. I didn't pay too close attention to the brake lever as i was focused on the battery area, and the coil area (wire burned up leading into the coil. Soldered it back together and it worked fine again) I have until Oct. 15 to get it done as it is a surprise for my son for his b-day. I appreciate your input.

Old 10-02-2017, 10:04 AM
Trailblazer

So I'm looking at the bike again today and don't see a fuse or the brake lever interlock. Here is what I'm working with.

Throttle side of handle bars