Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

1998 Sportsman HO with no spark

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 01:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1998 Sportsman HO with no spark

I've read many of the posts regarding no-spark conditions, but am still unable to get mine to fire up. Shut down my bike and it would not restart. To date I have replaced the stator and pick-up, cdi, secondary coil, and spark plug. The following are my resistance readings @ 10C (50F):
Exciter: B/R - G 425 ohm
B/R - R 427ohm
R - G 3.1 ohm
Pulser: W-W/R 118.9 ohm

I found it strange that the exciter readings would be lower than the specs (446 ohms and 450 ohms) while the pulser reading was higher than the spec. value of 97 ohms.

Coil ground connection btn engine and coil: 0 ohms
Pulse air gap is .025" approx.

I've disconnected the black wire at the CDI and still no spark.

Secondary Coil : Primary .5 ohms
Secondary side cap on 10700 ohms
cap off 5000 ohms
I've come to these forums often for assistance, because it seems to be populated by a lot of very knowledgeable Polaris riders. Hopefully someone can help.

Old 10-14-2017, 02:09 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Pull the plug cap off and check bare wire for spark against the cylinder. If still no spark you may have to move the pick up coil inward a tad even though the range is within tolerance as the manual call for.Pulse Coil (Trigger) Air Gap: .016-.040" Had one other person have to do that that purchased an aftermarket stator that had a no spark problem.He ended up enlarging the pickup coil bracket screw hole a little to be able to move it in. Resistance ranges given in the manual are +/- 10%. With that figured in the ranges should be ok on the pickup and exciter coils.

Old 10-14-2017, 02:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, Tech
I'll give those a try and get back to you

Old 10-14-2017, 02:22 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Also for grins and giggle,see if you have spark using the recoil starter. This is what happened to one member that had rope damage knock his pick up coil back a little. Would crank and spark with recoil,but not with the starter motor.http://forums.atvconnection.com/pola...ml#post3155476

Old 10-15-2017, 10:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

I've had a smile on my face since I retired 3 years ago, but this old bike is slowly turning that smile to a frown.
No spark with the bare spark plug wire. (Black wire on and off)
No spark after moving the pulse coil to within .016-.018" (Black wire on and off)
No spark using the recoil starter. (Entire recoil starter was replaced when stator and pulse coil were replaced)
I even tried putting the old CDI back on with no improvement.
Whats curious is that the wire going to the secondary coil on the new CDI is Blue rather than W/Blu. Do you think I may have been given the wrong CDI?

Old 10-15-2017, 11:48 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Wiring colors on after market parts such as the cdi to coil wire may vary. Two different cdi modules and a stator,ignition coil checks out. Plus cdi kill wire is isolated from the switches.With all these Chinese aftermarket stators on the market,sounds like it could be the culprit even though it's within the 10% tolerances given in the manual. There should be some small voltage from the pick up coil leading to the stator but the stator specs doesn't go that far into it. Plus 30-40 bucks or so for an aftermarket stator that would normally be around $150-$175 or so at Ricks or Ricky stators,kinda leaves me in doubt to begin with on some of these parts. Just happened to think about the white and white red in the connector. Make sure these wires aren't switched around as I've found that to happen before and the pick up coil wouldn't work.

Last edited by old polaris tech; 10-15-2017 at 12:01 PM. Reason: pick up wires..
Old 10-15-2017, 01:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

The Stator and Flywheel are new from R.M.Stator. The new CDI is from Caltric Electric. And the Secondary coil is from a local Polaris dealership. So I think I can trust them all to be of good quality.
The wiring harnesses from the stator/pulse coil correspond in colour to that of the CDI, i.e. Blk/R to Blk/R, Grn to Grn, etc.
I am at a loss to figure this out.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Anyone? Anyone at all?

Old 10-17-2017, 04:52 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Are you getting any kind of voltage from the white and white/red pick up coil? The stator you have may be ok,but the weakest link you have is the Caltric cdi that can be hit or miss as many have found out.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Tech, Ill ty that when I get home later this week.