Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT80 & Mice reminder

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 10:18 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT80 & Mice reminder

Haven’t posted in awhile .. been between generations. Got the LT80’s outta 2 yrs of storage to prepare for the grandkids. These are old heavily used LT80’s ( 88 & 90 ). I noticed a pile of white powder under the 88. Figured it was a result of it running on methanol before storage. Wrong, the whole clutch housing had become a mouse house packed with every stuffing they could find & moistened in the traditional way. A hole had corroded through the bottom of the case. The variators/clutch where corroded beyond repair ☹ These cases are already prone to cracking & don’t need the heavy pitting caused by mouse urine.
I bring this up as a reminder .. mice love LT80’s!
I knew this .. I had installed a screen on the air exit tube but had neglected the intake under the tank.
I have installed a screen on the intake with hope these toys will run when the new riders arrive.

Attached Thumbnails LT80 & Mice reminder-lt80mice.jpg  
Old 10-20-2017, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mice love everything man-made!!!!

Old 10-20-2017, 09:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

YZOtis, how ya doing?

Old 10-21-2017, 12:34 PM
Range Rover

Hey Jack, happy you’re still sharing your knowledge .. thanks to you & the kind members here, I haven’t had to buy a manual yet and these old quads have hauled around a lot of kids .. been lusting over your engines for more than 10 yrs but my budget has usually been a hand full of rollers and a couple blue & black rattle cans. Just spiffed up these old quads a bit & splurged on some stickers for the grand-kids.

Attached Thumbnails LT80 & Mice reminder-then_now_lts.jpg  
Old 10-22-2017, 03:17 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

"I haven’t had to buy a manual yet"

I have the LT80 manual and it is rubbish. Needed to change a starter last week, so rather than take carb off and those two long front engine mounting bolts followed by pulling two halves of frame apart and wiggling starter out, like I usually do, I thought I would consult the manual. Picture of engine already removed from frame, text "Remove starter assembly."

Old 10-22-2017, 08:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

SWEET YZOtis! If you need to bore a cylinder (from sitting w/mice) let me know. If I do them maybe my porting tool will accidentaly fall on your cylinders..............

Merryman, A guy told me: stand the machine straight up. Use a rope/etc to a engine lift (I have a pull spot in ceiling). Then you can pull the front motor bolt and pick up on the machine a lil. Surprisingly, it made it a lot easier.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:54 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by LT80
If you need to bore a cylinder (from sitting w/mice) let me know.
Bet ya thought I’d be to embarrassed to send ya one of my hacked up cylinders .. and you’d be right 😊 .. but, I have an old stock cylinder in a box somewhere that I never ground up (It might be from a mouse motor). I would love to work something out with you. It would already be in the mail if it wasn’t Sunday. Haven’t been so excited since I retired!

Old 10-23-2017, 03:58 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

"stand the machine straight up. Use a rope/etc to a engine lift"

Exactly what I did, mainly because I have a Honda 450 stuck on the motorcycle lift, waiting for a valve guide. Still felt like it wanted to shift and remove my fingers as I pulled the starter motor out. Most annoying thing, it wasn't starter at all. Yes, I checked with a test lamp and it lit when I touched the lead onto starter (button pressed), trouble was, other end of test lead was on battery neg. When the new starter didn't turn I tested again and got no power, this time the neg wire from test lamp was clipped onto engine. Sudden dawning, all that was wrong was the earth on engine.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:58 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Now what was this thread about??!!
I took my LT80 to Red Bud National race this August. Ran OK. Ran a tank of gas thru it.
Daughter came down 3 weeks ago and I'm ridding my grandson around. Ran sorta OK.
Didn't start after that. So I tear into it. Low and behold the air filter was 1/2 there and there was paper clogging the inlet tube to carb. MICE!
They be looking for homes coming into winter eh.. LOL