Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2005 recon centrifugal clutch removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 03:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 recon centrifugal clutch removal

I have a 2005 recon that stalls in 1st gear and if i get to go in gear by reving it up and slamming it in gear it will go threw gears fine up down and anything in between iam guessing i have a clutch issue the cluch pack looks in good shape plenty of material on them from wait i can see from the side my question is how do i get the centrifugal clutch off the bike i tried breaking the 10mm bolts loose but all it does is turns any help would be greatful thank Al

Old 11-21-2017, 03:15 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

"all it does is turns"

What turns? The three bolts are tapped into the clutch centre, they should just unscrew. If the assembly is going round, you can hold it with a bar, though an air wrench makes short work of removing them, and is almost essential for the centre nut, visible when you take the pressed steel cover off. I've forgotten if this is a RH or LH thread, find out before trying to unscrew. Once this is off, the assembly can be pulled off the crankshaft with a puller, take note which way round the one way bearing/clutch inside it, goes.

Old 11-21-2017, 03:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a strap wrench on it and tried the 10 mm bolts and it turn so i put a impact on it and it does the same ill try wegging it and see if it will come loose shouldnt the centrifugal move freely cause it doesnt if i turn it u can hear the compression in the motor either way i turn it

Old 11-22-2017, 02:49 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

The outer part (drum) should turn freely one way and against compression the other. A bar between the heads of two of the bolts while slackening the other is going to be the safest way to undo. These are small bolts and can't be all that tight. I undid the centre bolt for a Honda 350 flywheel yesterday with the air wrench, 80ft/lbs torque and it didn't even try to turn the engine, just rattled the bolt out.