General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Enclosed trailer question

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 05:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enclosed trailer question

I'm in the market for a 8.5x20 enclosed trailer. My question is how many utility quads could fit inside it. I would like to fit 2 Polaris 570’s, an 850 and a 1000 sportsman. Will the two 570 fit side by side in it? I understand around the trailer wheels it’s narrower. Just trying to figure out the best way to load them or look into the 24 footer. I don’t want to stand the quads up or anything crazy. Any input would help including pictures

Old 11-20-2017, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

The interior width is usually about 4-5 inches narrower than the posted width, so an 8.5 wide trailer is barely 8ft wide inside. Most machines take up 8-9 ft in length as a minimum and the 20 ft length is normally overall length of box. So at best you might squeeze in 4 machines, but remember to measure carefully as they can vary a couple inches depending on mfgrs. Also look at GVWR of the trailer which is weight of trailer plus all accessories including the weight of the machines. You need to stay under the max GVWR, over weight is the number one reason for failures, mostly tire failures from excess weight. I have an enclosed trailer for my UTV,a 6x12 V nose but it needs to be 7' tall to clear the roof of the UTV. Inside is just 68" and trailer is supposed to be 6' wide (72"), mine has no inside wheel wells which will depend on mfgr. Look carefully and measure carefully before you buy!!

Old 11-20-2017, 11:21 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
The interior width is usually about 4-5 inches narrower than the posted width, so an 8.5 wide trailer is barely 8ft wide inside. Most machines take up 8-9 ft in length as a minimum and the 20 ft length is normally overall length of box. So at best you might squeeze in 4 machines, but remember to measure carefully as they can vary a couple inches depending on mfgrs. Also look at GVWR of the trailer which is weight of trailer plus all accessories including the weight of the machines. You need to stay under the max GVWR, over weight is the number one reason for failures, mostly tire failures from excess weight. I have an enclosed trailer for my UTV,a 6x12 V nose but it needs to be 7' tall to clear the roof of the UTV. Inside is just 68" and trailer is supposed to be 6' wide (72"), mine has no inside wheel wells which will depend on mfgr. Look carefully and measure carefully before you buy!!
Single rider ATVs aren't that long, at least not all of them. A Sportsman 570 is 1 inch less than 8 feet according to Polaris' website, and the 850 and 1000 are 3/4 inch less than 8 feet. They should all fit sideways in an 8.5 foot wide trailer if they don't have winches or brush-guards/bumpers added on. But there wouldn't be room to turn them sideways once they're inside. It would take 32 feet of length to load 4 of them one behind the other, and you could only fit 2 in a 20 foot long trailer.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

They should fit tightly next to each other. I've thought about an enclosed trailer also. What I would do is build a box that matches the wheel wells inside the trailer and just let the tires go on them. Might be able to get away with it though being a 20' trailer without having to do that.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
Single rider ATVs aren't that long, at least not all of them. A Sportsman 570 is 1 inch less than 8 feet according to Polaris' website, and the 850 and 1000 are 3/4 inch less than 8 feet. They should all fit sideways in an 8.5 foot wide trailer if they don't have winches or brush-guards/bumpers added on. But there wouldn't be room to turn them sideways once they're inside. It would take 32 feet of length to load 4 of them one behind the other, and you could only fit 2 in a 20 foot long trailer.

My thought was if they would squeeze in side by side....would be a tight squeeze depending on the actual width of the inside of the trailer and the overall width of his machines. Carefull measurement will be needed as every manufacturer is a little different. If two could be put side by side then a 20 ft trailer would work for 4 machines and give him a few extra feet for the accessories...

Old 11-21-2017, 12:38 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
My thought was if they would squeeze in side by side....would be a tight squeeze depending on the actual width of the inside of the trailer and the overall width of his machines. Carefull measurement will be needed as every manufacturer is a little different. If two could be put side by side then a 20 ft trailer would work for 4 machines and give him a few extra feet for the accessories...
You're right of course but the 570s are 4' wide, maybe a little wider when you account for suspension sag in the IRS. If they won't fit sideways there's no way they'll fit side by side which takes another inch or possibly more, without so much as a fraction of an inch between them. Also, they won't fit if the wheel wells are inside.