Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default use different oil than PS -4 FULL SYNTHETIC

Can i use a different ( cheaper ) oil than the polaris ps-4 full synthetic 5w50

Old 01-15-2018, 04:39 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

You can use just about any auto/cycle oil since most atvs have cvt clutches. Just make sure it's fully synthetic.Mobil 1 0w40 is one of the most common oils used along with the newer 5w50,plus Amsoil is another one.The list is really endless and many people use Rotella T6 that can be used in cvt engines along with wet clutch engines in cycles,etc since it's jaso rated.Choice is up to you as far as oil brands..

Attached Thumbnails use different oil than PS -4 FULL SYNTHETIC-13989447.jpg  
Old 01-16-2018, 12:10 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depending on the temperature range where you're at 10W-40 might work but the 0W-40 OPT mentioned would be better for winter where it gets really cold. No matter the weight, full synthetic is the only way to go. Your owner's manual can tell you what weights are acceptable.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider

Been running T6 5W40 and a Fram XG 7317 filter since the first oil change - 3,870 miles and zero issues.

Even at -30, fires right up.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by WilliamBos
Been running T6 5W40 and a Fram XG 7317 filter since the first oil change - 3,870 miles and zero issues.

Even at -30, fires right up.

You might want to do some research on those Fram oil filters. My company did some work for and oil filter distributor, comparing various brands of oil filters and their construction. In the end Fram filters were almost last and the information made headlines. Many of the cheap no name filters were constructed better than the Fram filters. I was a Fram guy for many years but know that I have first hand knowledge of their construction I will never touch one again.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:30 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
You might want to do some research on those Fram oil filters. My company did some work for and oil filter distributor, comparing various brands of oil filters and their construction. In the end Fram filters were almost last and the information made headlines. Many of the cheap no name filters were constructed better than the Fram filters. I was a Fram guy for many years but know that I have first hand knowledge of their construction I will never touch one again.
I guess I better not say anything to my truck with over 276,000 miles that's been using them for 18 years.. People have trash talked Fram for years and yes I've seen the cutaway comparisons on the different brands along with cheapest Fram filters,but spend a couple bucks more for the ToughGard and it's as good imo as Wix,Bosch,K&N or any other filter out there. Again just mine and my trucks opinion..

Old 01-21-2018, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
You may want to update your research. I use the Ultra (XG 7317), they are a top premium oil filter designed for synthetic oil, these are not the orange can filters of days past.

The quality is second to none, and unlike others they are 100% USA made.

Check out Fram Ultra on sites like Bitog, you will get an eye opener. In fact, Honda uses Fram as their OEM filter supplier.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
I guess I better not say anything to my truck with over 276,000 miles that's been using them for 18 years.. People have trash talked Fram for years and yes I've seen the cutaway comparisons on the different brands along with cheapest Fram filters,but spend a couple bucks more for the ToughGard and it's as good imo as Wix,Bosch,K&N or any other filter out there. Again just mine and my trucks opinion..
Same here - been running Fram Ultras on last two trucks, and once I do the change on my Ram, it will see Fram XG too.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:47 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Any time a car or truck has more miles on it than a trip to the moon, I figure you must be doing something right.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:21 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Or 11 times around the Earth..More realistic because of all the starting/stopping you'd have to do. Harder on the engine..

Quick Reply: use different oil than PS -4 FULL SYNTHETIC