ATV Videos Post and view entertaining videos running the gammut from spectacular crashes to crazy stunts to everything else involving a quad.

The Significance of Ramp Chains

Old 02-15-2018, 02:22 AM
Quad Patrol
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Default The Significance of Ramp Chains

The first thing you may notice in this week's video is that these ramps are upside down. The second is that it makes attaching the chains to the truck bed quite impossible.

Here's what happens when the first thing prevents you from doing the second:

https://atvconnection.com/articles/v...se-chains-for/

Old 02-15-2018, 05:57 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Hope they all learned something.The kid was lucky this time..

Old 02-15-2018, 06:21 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

I've had a ramp slip with the chains. Ramps slipped back a little over an inch and stayed attached to the truck, so the quad still loaded. Still not a good feeling.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ive never understood why people actually ride the machine up the ramp. The safest way to load is to stand at the right of the machine and walk it up the ramp. Put your right hand on the throttle and left on the rear rack or grab bar if its a sport quad. If something goes wrong, you're already clear and it won't fall on top of you. To unload, I just put it in neutral, make sure the bars are straight and grab the rear rack and let gravity do the rest. Make sure you have plenty of room as it will roll several feet. I did something similar to this once unloading a quad off a truck many years ago. It was a smaller truck, an S10 and I had to drive over the wheelwells to unload it. It got sideways, flipped about halfway over before the ramps caught it, bending the ramps. I ended up on my back but unhurt.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:25 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The ramps weren't upside down, they were backward. If they were upside down they'd be partly folded. There's been a video on YouTube for over a decade with the same type of accident. The ramps weren't secured, the tires spit them out, and it looks like the ATV flipped straight back on top of him.

P.S. The safest way to load an ATV is to put it on a trailer, instead of using ramps on a steeper angle to load it into a truck that sits higher.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Use the safety straps. They're there for a reason.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:17 AM
Moto Psycho

My ramp had stainless steel cables. Once I had them adjusted to the right length I used aluminum ferrules to make it permanent. You can get them at most hardware and home improvement stores. Instead of buying a crimping tool and doing it the right way, I bashed them with a hammer until they were tight. I don't recommend anyone else do that. Get the right tool, or use regular wire rope clips. Mine only had to last until I bought a trailer, which wasn't long. With wire rope clips the length can be adjusted if you use the ramp on another truck.

http://www.wirop.com.tw/en/product-4...les-W901D.html

https://www.grainger.com/category/wi...ecatalog/N-mv0

Old 02-16-2018, 01:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the new F150 has optional ramps you can purchase that are made to work with the truck. There's a lip built into the tailgate that they slide into so they cant move and rails inside the bed to store them when not in use. They're not cheap, says the option is $740

Old 02-16-2018, 02:07 PM
Moto Psycho

Originally Posted by greg74
the new F150 has optional ramps you can purchase that are made to work with the truck. There's a lip built into the tailgate that they slide into so they cant move and rails inside the bed to store them when not in use. They're not cheap, says the option is $740 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMqpSG29DEE
That's really cool. The ramps can't possibly fall down. It's a good thing the ramps are stored securely, since the tailgate has to stay open to haul an ATV. I just folded my ramp in half and slid it between the wheels under my quad and shut the tailgate. That's just one of the advantages of having a full size 8' bed.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:12 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

That ramp option,side step,tail gate step is slicker than snot. With my knees I'd love to have them even though I sure don't need em..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Significance of Ramp Chains