Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris 250 Trailblazer - Spark only with pull rope

Old 02-15-2018, 03:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris 250 Trailblazer - Spark only with pull rope

Just joined the site. I have a 2003 Polaris Trailblazer 250. I get spark ONLY when pulling the recoil rope. No spark when turning over the engine with the electric starter.

I've replaced: CDI, Coil, Stator, starter (it was froze up when I got it so I put a new on one it), solenoid, voltage regulator, key switch and it has a brand new battery, I've pulled all wiring harnesses apart, inspected all wires looking for shorts or breaks, cleaned all wiring harness connections, checked and cleaned all grounds AND I've tested the off/run/off switch and cleaned the connections. It is also not the Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) as I've checked that. Magnets on the flywheel are in good/great shape and the polarity is correct and the magnets are strong. Compression is 115. I've also tried two other used stators that I had laying around just to be sure (I also measured the resistance on the brand new stator and it was around 120).

So, basically this thing only gives me spark when it is cranked with the recoil/pull rope. I put a drill on the flywheel and got all kinds of spark. LOL. I could just put it all back together and start it with the rope for the rest of my life, but I really would like to actually start the thing with my brand new electric starter.

It seems like the exciter coil is too far from the magnets in the flywheel. It doesn't look like the coils on the stator are adjustable. Any help or ideas would be appreciated because I'm about to make somebody a helluva deal on a used quad. Thanks.

P.S. I have a service manual for this thing already. I'm about blind from looking at the wiring diagram. I may use the paper in the manual to start the fire I will use to destroy this machine. LOL
P.S.S. I disconnected the black wire coming from the CDI for the reverse limiter......still no sparky with the starter.

Old 02-15-2018, 04:56 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Second one I've heard about that did the same thing. Using the recoil puts more torque on the flywheel,spins a lot faster than what the electric starter can turn it. Your test with the drill kinda proves the point. If it's an aftermarket Caltric stator assemblies then that could be the problem.Could be in the exciter coil itself or the distance on the stator plate.You could always try an oem exciter coil,solder it in to see if any change. Might solve it.

Attached Thumbnails Polaris 250 Trailblazer - Spark only with pull rope-c2206ad619dd13e051279905dcee9850268cd978.png  
Old 02-15-2018, 05:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

You guessed it, it's a Caltric stator. I have another Trailblazer and that actually starts with the starter. I will pull the OEM stator off that one and give it a try this weekend. The other stators I tried were an old OEM that looked pretty bad and another Caltric that didn't measure the correct resistance.

Have you ever heard of anyone enlarging the bolt holes on the exciter coil and moving it closer to the magnets on the flywheel?

Old 02-15-2018, 05:45 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Pick up coil outside the flywheel,yes I've done that along with a simple tap on the bracket to move it closer to the flywheel strip.My two cents is the aftermarket stator lighting coils and exciter coils use smaller wiring and less of it. That could explain a lot of it.

Old 02-15-2018, 05:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Interesting. Thanks for your response and what you do for this board. I've read lots of your stuff in the past and have found it quite helpful.

I will update this when/if I get this thing going. If you have any more thoughts or if anybody else has any thoughts I would love to hear them.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:33 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"... a simple tap on the bracket to move it closer to the flywheel..." I saw that one coming as soon as I read the title of the thread. I might be spending too much time on here.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:15 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
"... a simple tap on the bracket to move it closer to the flywheel..." I saw that one coming as soon as I read the title of the thread. I might be spending too much time on here.
Yes but it works.. at least for the external pick up coils.I think I'm spending too much time on here also.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

This is what my stator and flywheel looks like. How do I move the exciter coil outward toward the magnets inside the flywheel? I assume you guys are talking about other Polaris models with the external pick up when you say "a simple tap on the bracket to move it closer to the flywheel..." Right?

Old 02-16-2018, 11:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Here is what my stator assembly and flywheel look like. When you say "... a simple tap on the bracket to move it closer to the flywheel..." I assume you're talking about other Polaris models with an external pickup coil right?

Old 02-16-2018, 01:22 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Yes but it works.. at least for the external pick up coils.I think I'm spending too much time on here also.
It's a good thing you do spend time here. I don't know what everyone would do without your expert advice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Polaris 250 Trailblazer - Spark only with pull rope