Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

What is Fuel Sending Unit responsible for?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 05:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is Fuel Sending Unit responsible for?

2004 700 Sportsman, I get a false out of fuel blinking and a false bad battery blinking and it dies like starved for fuel, let it set 15 seconds and it fires right up, runs great for 20-30 seconds and dies again. Will run indefinitely at idle but dies at about 3000 rpm. And I get goofy RPM readings, like really low readings. Can this all be blameable of the sending unit??

Thanks

Old 02-20-2018, 06:25 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the sending unit works anything like the kind my mom made at AC Spark Plug, it just tells the gas gauge how much is in the tank.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:29 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

efi or carb model? Had both on the 2004 700. Plus does make a difference as to what your problem may be. If an efi the fuel pump in the tank could be going out.Sender is in the fuel pump housing. Carb model just has the sender float on a wire and an external fuel pump.Either one of these sender floats can get gas saturated,but replacements are available. Regulator on either one could be acting up if the battery isn't charging correctly or could simply be a regulator wire has come loose like some have done. Just helps to narrow down the one you have as there were three 700 models for 2004,two were carb models,one fuel injection.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, Old Polaris Tech, did not know that there was both EFI and Carb. Mine is a Carb. I have checked the vacuum line from the pump and it does not have fuel in it, so I was told it is OK? Did a gravity feed from fuel **** and machine still dies. Fed some carb cleaner into the fuel line and thought it helped, but was only temporary. When the machine gets warm the problem sometimes goes away. Would like to know what the problem is so I don't get taken advantage of at the dealer.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:47 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Pull the fuel line from the carb and crank the engine over. Should be a steady or pulsing stream of fuel if the pump is ok.If the stream is weak,pumps are 8-10 bucks on ebay,amazon. PLUS one other thing to check is to pull the front panel to see if you have a separate cdi and coil or a combo cdi/coil which was the troublesome Ducati ignition system. When this system started going out it affected other areas such as the regulator also. Hopefully you have the later Kokusan ignition,but I'd still check connections on the regulator. That could cause the battery light to flash if it isn't getting a charge. The stuck sender is usually because a of a saturated float or the sender wire stuck against the tank. You have to pull it up anyway,so replace the float. This one fits them all. FUEL GAUGE SENDING UNIT FLOAT - Polaris ATV - X2, Sportsman 500, 700, 800, Can-Am Renegade - DJSFLOAT

Attached Thumbnails What is Fuel Sending Unit responsible for?-djsfloat__56133.1423516601.jpg  
Old 02-22-2018, 02:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Happy Ending

How about a simple fix. Checked the battery terminals and found positive terminal to be just a little loose, enough that I could slide the wire back and forth but it was still making contact. Tightened that and about a half turn on the negative side. Checked the frame contact point and it was snug. Fired it up and everything seems to be great. Ran it for about 15 minutes at about 2/3 throttle without a problem. Don't understand why this would have been responsible for all four issues (dying, rpm, false fuel and battery) and even more don't understand why, without moving anything, the machine would fire right back up and repeat the problem.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:19 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

This model HAS to have the battery for ignition along with constant voltage for the gauges,fan,regulator,etc. Intermittent connections like this is enough to cause the battery not to charge(low battery) and all the other problems you had. Glad it was a simple fix..