Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

1997 Yamaha Big Bear questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 01:49 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Yamaha Big Bear questions

Hello all!

have a pretty nice, at least IMO, big bear 350 4x4 and have a few questions.

front has some battle damage and the bumper is bent in a touch.

Does anyone know if this would interfere with mounting a winch or would I have to try to straighten it out? CAN I straighten that out? just wrap a chain on it and other side around a tree and give it a couple of tugs in reverse?

As it sits there are no apparent issues I have seen. Should there be anything I need to keep an eye out with this model? No hour meter or odo so no idea of how much its been used but seems that its a sound ride, no pulling...good power delivery and no issues with up or down shifting.

Thanks!
D

Old 02-23-2018, 02:00 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Don't see why it couldn't be bent back. The only drawback is the metal is fatigued, so another good shot on it and it's going to be worse.

Bent one of the ears on mine before and bent it back. Next shot I took on it, it folded like paper. At least I got 2 hits on it before I had to replace it.

Old 02-24-2018, 03:13 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

I regularly pull the whole front bull bar, rack and plastic back out on Quads, by tying it to something solid and setting off backwards. Take it slow, and cut power as soon as your rope is tight, not enough? Drive backwards a little quicker next time, continue increasing until it pulls out flat. Why a rope? It doesn't dig into the bull bar, a chain would.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:28 AM
Pro Rider
Can't wait to feel that 130 HP at the dunes.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use a come-a-long. It is a lot easier to control. When reverseing you always need to go a little more to get it straight, then all of a sudden you went to far.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:01 PM
Trailblazer

thanks for all the replies.

regardless of whichever I try if I DO screw it up I can just weld it up later with the welder we have at work.

Thanks!
D

Old 02-26-2018, 06:32 AM
Pro Rider

things to look at.
Check and change fluids in drive shafts. Change your oil. check oil radiator and see if its plugged. Inspect your boots on your axles

Old 02-26-2018, 06:33 PM
Trailblazer

yeah cleaned and checked the boots on the cv's and were good.
did some turns at full lock and didn't hear any clicking like you would in a car...question is WOULD you hear that on an ATV?
oil-cooler was clean, but I hit it with the pressure washer anyway to make sure the fins were clean.

got an oil filter on the way with a new spark plug and that will be taken care of this weekend.

thanks!
D

Old 02-27-2018, 03:15 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

"didn't hear any clicking like you would in a car...question is WOULD you hear that on an ATV"

Yes, very loudly, nothing to muffle the sound on a Quad.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:42 PM
Trailblazer

okay hate to sound like a noob here...but I got the oil filter...and I guess I am used to more automotive sized stuff...but good lord my shot glasses are that size.

as for the gear lube for the front and rear diffs the book calls for 80-90 W in the rear diff and 80-90 with LSD friction modifier for the front. is there a preferential type of modifier you all use?

thanks!
D

Old 02-27-2018, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would place a 2x4 behind the plate and another on the front side. The front one you should place a spacer on each side to move it out from the frame.

Then, you can use a large C-clamp to sqeeze the rear one closer to the front. Another option is to drill holes thru both and use a long bolt to pull the bumper forward.

Oil, I believe I used mobil 1 or another brand which states it can be used in ltd slip applications and I never used any other additive.

Quick Reply: 1997 Yamaha Big Bear questions