2003 polaris 700 twin.
equus 8068 tach.
set tach for 2 cyl or what?
waste spark/2 pulses per rev?

Old 02-24-2018, 04:33 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I'd worry more about changing out the Ducati ignition with the Kokusan #2202602 ignition kit if you haven't done so it won't possibly leave you stranded when(not if) the Ducati starts to fail rather than installing a tach.With this type of parallel twin ,both pistons go up and down together ( a 360 degree crank) and produces an even firing twin (fires every one turn or 360 degrees) It only has 1 pickup,1 coil pack(Cdi/coil) with 2 spark plug leads.Because it's a single coil with 2 leads , both spark plugs fire at the same time and when 1 cylinder is on firing , the other is being fired as well but on valve overlap (exhaust valve closing and intake is beginning to open.In other words it's really just a big thumper. My best guess on this would to set it on waste spark/2 pulses per rev and see how it does. I maybe right,maybe wrong on this one..

Old 02-24-2018, 05:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for a very understandable and concise answer. However, I still don't know "where" to connect
Now I have another question, I was not aware of the problem with ignition. How do I check to see if the mod/conversion has already been made?
I think I read somewhere that the two units were different colors but cannot recall which color was which unit. Can you advise?
Thank you very much for being very helpful.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:04 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Best way to tell is pull the front rack and pop the panel off. If you have the crappy Ducati ignition,you'll see a combination cdi and coil. Kokusan has a separate cdi and ignition coil. Hope you have the later one if you're not the original owner.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just went out and pulled it apart. I have the Ducati unit. Do they fail abruptly without warning or are there early signs of failure? Are the replacement kits still available? If not I will have to shop for a used one.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:43 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Some would start running rich,fouling plugs,smelling raw fuel. Some started back firing,hard to start. Other posters have said that they killed their machines and they wouldn't start up again. I fought these things back and forth replacing stators,then coil packs back and forth. Then on one stator I looked up,the stator updated to the complete new kit. No bulletins,no warnings/bulletins to me or the customers.Polaris knew that they were a problem but slipped one over on the techs,customers without having a general recall since it wasn't considered a fire hazard I guess.Sneaky imo on Polaris's part on this one.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

I found this newly designed conversion kit by RMStator. please have a look and advise what you think

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-Co...Nab0nb&vxp=mtr

Old 02-24-2018, 06:36 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

JUST MY on this.. They use the Ducati lighting coil for the ignition source since it's stronger wiring,BUT I've had lighting coils fail also. If it does you're right back at square one. Have to find a used Ducati stator and hope it works ok again.They're cheaper and some may swear by them,but the Kokusan kit gets rid of the whole Ducati mess.

Attached Thumbnails where to connect analog tach sensor wire-s-l1600.jpg  
Old 02-24-2018, 06:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, I am going to really think this one out. More than twice the price of the RMStator unit. ($650 vs $250)
plus I would not attempt the stator/flywheel change out.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:57 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Quick Reply: where to connect analog tach sensor wire