Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Just bought a different atv

Old 02-24-2018, 07:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Just bought a different atv

Just traded for a different atv today. The Brute Force was going to need a lot of work and traded it for a 2008 Suzuki King Quad 750 for $3500. Didn't get as much for the Brute in trade as I would have hoped, had more stuff wrong with it than I knew about. King Quad has about 2200 miles on it and looks to be in great shape, was owned by an older gentleman. Haven't had a chance to really ride it yet, just got it home a couple hours ago. No eps but what little I have rode it, it doesn't seem to need it, even in 4x4. Much lighter steering than the Brute Force had. Just seems like a more refined machine. Just bought a different atv-kingquad.jpg

Old 02-24-2018, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I have heard lots of good things about the King Quads, owned by an older guy is a big plus! Not sure about all the hoopla about EPS, seems to me to just be something else to go wrong. Owned 4 atv's in my life and one UTV, never had EPS on any of them. Current UTV can be steered with one finger even in 4wd diff lock, so why do I need EPS? Sounds like you found a nice machine.....keep us posted

Old 02-24-2018, 11:13 PM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations on your new ride!

Old 02-25-2018, 12:55 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hope it proves to be a good machine. It was a little more than I wanted to spend but part of that was the low trade-in value of the Brute Force, can't really blame the King Quad for that. It seems to be in excellent shape. I did plan to buy something a little newer but I just didn't want to spend $5000 or more for a good used 700cc class atv. They started out at $3999, got them to go $500 lower. I wanted a used Grizzly 700 back before I bought the Brute Force and the King Quad 750 is very similar in almost every way. The stiff, harsh ride of the Brute Force was starting to get old. The suspension on this atv is so plush by comparison, not to mention a much plusher seat too. My back has been a bit sore lately, I think this will agree with it much more. I may add a winch soon, tires are original stock tires and have ok tread, might wait until next year to get some different tires.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:59 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HawkeyeRider
Congratulations on your new ride!
220 miles per year isn't much at all. I've done over half of that in a day.

Old 02-25-2018, 01:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I ride a lot more than that too, 900-1000 miles a year or so is pretty common. About 80 miles is the farthest I've ever gone in one day. We went to Land Between the Lakes in Kentucky in 2007 and I think I went about 150 miles over the Labor Day weekend. Was really just Sat and Sunday, had a short ride on Monday before we loaded up and left.

Old 02-25-2018, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Part of why the King Quad being easy to steer in 4wd is the limited slip/full locker system. In limited slip it's pretty easy to steer. If you push the button the extra time after moving a lever, it goes into full locked front. Should be a little harder to steer in full locker.

I like the power steering. It is not necessary but I find it makes rides that much more enjoyable for me. Like how it absorbs abrupt hits, how easy it is to turn in mud, snow, and sand. But most of all, how easy it is when plowing with all that weight on the front.

Old 02-25-2018, 03:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those are nice! If Textron messes up the Arctic Cats/Alterras, and my 700 TRV ever takes a crap, the KQ would be my next choice, behind the Can Am Outlander Max!

Old 02-26-2018, 12:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The Alterras are nice and the VLX 700 with its low price was tempting to buy as a new machine. The base Kodiak 700 is close to the same price too. Just didn't want to spend that much money. I really wanted a used Grizzly 700 but they just go for too much money used too. King Quad 750 is pretty much equal to the Grizzly 700 in performance and comfort. I haven't tried out diff-lock yet to see how it affects the steering. I doubt I will use it much but I have it in case I need it. Most likely if I need diff-lock, I'm in a tough spot and probably will be trying to go in a straight line anyway.

Old 02-26-2018, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by greg74
The Alterras are nice and the VLX 700 with its low price was tempting to buy as a new machine. The base Kodiak 700 is close to the same price too. Just didn't want to spend that much money. I really wanted a used Grizzly 700 but they just go for too much money used too. King Quad 750 is pretty much equal to the Grizzly 700 in performance and comfort. I haven't tried out diff-lock yet to see how it affects the steering. I doubt I will use it much but I have it in case I need it. Most likely if I need diff-lock, I'm in a tough spot and probably will be trying to go in a straight line anyway.
The three instances I've seen where the diff lock makes, just that much of, a difference is mud, snow, and climbing steep rocks off camber. My son couldn't get the last 6' of a mudhole that was a good 50' long. Polaris system got me out of it. Were coming off an iced over lake and climbing a snow covered bank to get back on the trails. Guy with a Honda Rincon could not get up it. Had a tire in the air turning. Tire on the ground wasn't turning. The rest of us, with full 4wd got up without a problem. Climbing a steep rock that was a 60 degrees steep and 4' long a guy with a Suzuki couldn't get up the rock. Turns out he didn't have the front locked. After he locked it, the quad climbed right up and over it. It can be just that little bit of extra bit needed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just bought a different atv