Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Help with Chinese kids quad

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 07:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Chinese kids quad

HI there. I'm new to this forum and this is the first quad I have worked on. I am mechanically inclined and handy with machines but I have a couple questions.

1)The quad won't start and there is no spark. I think I narrowed it down to the coil and got a new one on Amazon for 7 bucks. Is this a common issue?

2)I got this from my father in law. The stuff he gets tends to be cobbed together. There is a line coming from the rear of the engine that travels up into the air intake of the carb. I got an aftermarket air filter that I want to put on. What is this hose? Can I delete it? Is it supposed to go into the tube into the carb? Pics are attached.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Thumbnails Help with Chinese kids quad-quad1.jpg   Help with Chinese kids quad-quad2.jpg   Help with Chinese kids quad-quad3.jpg  
Old 05-23-2018, 01:17 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Looks to be the engine breather, and no you can't delete it. For emission reasons, they are routed into the air intake, but don't have to be, just put the end of the pipe somewhere where water isn't going to get in. The filter that is on looks a bit "aftermarket" anyway.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
Looks to be the engine breather, and no you can't delete it. For emission reasons, they are routed into the air intake, but don't have to be, just put the end of the pipe somewhere where water isn't going to get in. The filter that is on looks a bit "aftermarket" anyway.
Thank you very much.

So my plan is to just route the breather somewhere and delete that janky after market tube with the hole in it and connect the air filter directly to the carb. That sound reasonable?

Old 05-23-2018, 09:20 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Thats a stock air filter that comes on allot of the imports. You can get rid of that tube no problem. As for the line just get a threaded hose barb and put it in the end of the air filter and connect the hose. Then it will stay as a closed system and you don't have to worry about water/mud getting into the hose. The cdi hates to get wet i always keep a spare around since they are cheap.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Zrock
Thats a stock air filter that comes on allot of the imports. You can get rid of that tube no problem. As for the line just get a threaded hose barb and put it in the end of the air filter and connect the hose. Then it will stay as a closed system and you don't have to worry about water/mud getting into the hose. The cdi hates to get wet i always keep a spare around since they are cheap.
So just drill the end of the air filter and thread the barb in there?

That sounds reasonable. I never would have thought of that. So basically the barbed end would be pointing directly to the back of the quad