Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

starter motor getting very hot

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 02:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter motor getting very hot

Hi all

i have a 110 chinese quad replaced all cables with new ones. when i goto start the quad the starter tries to turn but sounds terrible.. it actually gets so hot that the green wire leading back to the solenoid gets hot and starts to melt.

i took the starter out and put it directly to the car battery and it spun.

is my starter failing under load, should i get a new one or should i be looking elswhere. its not the solanoid as the old one did exactly the same..

also the starter motor wont spin wired upto a 12v UPS battery but it will spin on a 12v car battery. UPS battery volts read 13 car is 13.5 so both are charged.

Aron

Old 09-15-2018, 03:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

update, take the spark plug out and it spins, but still getting very very hot to the point the starter wire starts to melt..

im thinking ill replace the starter now

Old 09-15-2018, 09:29 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

did you replace the starter little confused as you said "its not the solenoid as the old one did exactly the same" or did you replace solenoid? Have you load tested battery? A low voltage from the battery can cause the same symptoms. Need to have battery load tested as just taking voltage with no load on it will not tell you if you have a internal issue with battery.

Old 09-15-2018, 05:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Zrock
did you replace the starter little confused as you said "its not the solenoid as the old one did exactly the same" or did you replace solenoid? Have you load tested battery? A low voltage from the battery can cause the same symptoms. Need to have battery load tested as just taking voltage with no load on it will not tell you if you have a internal issue with battery.

Sorry, so the quad came with a pushbutton type start button and the previous guy had rewired it ( bypassed saftey switch, just looked dodgy the wiring ) when i put my car battery ( my car is a 4x4 and the battery can turn over the 4.2l diesel engine ) it would struggle to start the starter would make a pathetic brr i and stop, if i was lucky i might get one woof from the exhaust of the quad as the engine tried to turn. maybe 3 presses of the starter button the battery wire, earth wore, and starter green wire would get very very hot that it would start the melt the wire shielding.

so i took all his wiring off and put a brand new harness on, new CDi, new rectifier, new solenoid, new wires and now with a key and a handbrake safety switch.

put the car battery onto it, exactly same thing pathetic brr of the starter one woof or 2 woofs if i was lucky and the wires would get hot to the point of smoking and melting.

i took the starter off that when i noticed it was burning hot had to leave it to cool for a few minutes, put the starter with no load direct ot the car battery and it spun ok. took it apart cleaned it up as best as i could checked the bushes seemed ok. then put it back on the car and it spun, put it back on the quad and it brr and started smoking again.

i took the spark plug out and the starter spun much bettter. so its not spinning under comporessions/load just gets super hot to the point it starts to melt the wires.

i have a new starter motor on order so im hoping that it will solve the issues.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

So i completly pulled the starter motor apart. and there was 1 copper bit on the bottom had been jammed at the bottome, alos found that one of the springs was shot.

anyways ordered a new starter we see if it works now

Old 09-20-2018, 03:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

ok so i replaced the starter motor. just having the startmotor on a battery spins the flywhee ? and magnito. so it works. i put it all back together then started via the start button and touched the chassie with the spark plug. got a good bright spark. eveything spins and turns get woofs of compression against my thumb over the spark hole.

put the spark in and get a 1/4 revolution of the starter trying to kick the motor over. its sound like it has to much compression and cant do anything. wire start to get hot but not burning.

what could it be ?

Aron

Old 09-20-2018, 04:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

i sprayed some wd40 down the spark plug hole. then turned the motor with a 14mm socket clockwase it turnes with preasuer that i can feel in the spark plug hole then gets a bit of tension the comes loose all turning y hand dont feel any resistance that i think would stop the starter from spinning. put the spark plug back in and can feel the pressure coming out of the exhaust same turing with one hand using a socket. if i turn the otherway i can hear air woosing from the carby area.

i turned the carby screw and drained it fuel came out the closed it up fuel stopped.

i will leave the wd40 in for a while then try and start it again tomorrow

Old 07-10-2021, 07:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Did u figure this out?

Originally Posted by Aron Palmer
i sprayed some wd40 down the spark plug hole. then turned the motor with a 14mm socket clockwase it turnes with preasuer that i can feel in the spark plug hole then gets a bit of tension the comes loose all turning y hand dont feel any resistance that i think would stop the starter from spinning. put the spark plug back in and can feel the pressure coming out of the exhaust same turing with one hand using a socket. if i turn the otherway i can hear air woosing from the carby area.

i turned the carby screw and drained it fuel came out the closed it up fuel stopped.

i will leave the wd40 in for a while then try and start it again tomorrow
did u figure this out? I'm having tiger same issue and I'm stumpped

Old 07-12-2021, 02:03 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Thought OP or Zrock may have come in, but no, so:-

I had a Chinese machine that wouldn't spin the engine over properly. Wires getting hot so, after ensuring the battery was good and charged, I fitted double wires from solenoid to starter motor, no improvement. Cleaned out starter, nothing wrong. Finally took one way starter clutch to pieces, springs were squashed and deformed, fitted new and the bike started great afterwards. Fairly certain the clutch had only been slipping at just before TDC so engine fired just as piston stopped and sent crank backwards. Engine spun over much faster than a normal Chinese 110cc bike afterwards, I assume because of the double thickness wire to it.