3) General Discussions.. No problems but would like to discuss your Chinese quad experiences post in here.. You can also post in here why you hate your Chinese quad..

TaoTao 125cc Throttle For Kids

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 01:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TaoTao 125cc Throttle For Kids

Yello everyone. I have a little 125cc taotao(atleast that's what I was told by my mom who I got this from). Im in the process of wanting to detune it so it dont go so fast for my smaller nieces and nephew. But no matter what I do I cant get the throttle to not massively over rev. I've tried adjusting fuel mixture, idle screw, and even the speed limiter on the handle bars and it still revs really high and doesnt seem to slow down at all. And what I want is this thing to have half the revs it has now so it kinda crawls in every gear. My nieces and nephew are really gutsy and will hurt themselves on it so I wanna slow it down. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also would moving the needle in the carburetor down a notch slow it down?

Old 10-22-2018, 02:48 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

No don't adjust anything on the carb. The one screw that matters is on the control box on the handlebars. Some bikes don't have them but, if it has, it is on the opposite side to you when you are on the bike, undo the locknut and screw in to make the lever move less. So when you press the throttle lever it can't move very far. When sat doing nothing the bike will still rev up quite a lot, but try driving it and you will find the lack of movement makes the bike a lot slower. If it hasn't got a screw, but there is a hole for one, any longish screw and locknut (not sure if it is 4mm or 5mm dia), screwed in, will do the job.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:43 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I always found that using the throttle limiter screw always caused the machines to load up over time or does not have enough left to climb a hill. After the first few rides with my little one i took it out. I let her make her own mistake in the yard. Only took one and a afternoon and she never reved the machine up again unless she needed to

Old 10-22-2018, 11:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

I was able to get the throttle limiter to work better when I found a adjustment in the throttle cable just under the handle bars. A sorta threaded nut and bolt in the cable its self for adjusting slop in the cable from what I can find on it. With this I can make the bike move very slowly under its own power by twisting the nut more open or closed. That will work nicely. I personally just didnt want the thing to get to high in revs because at high revs it rattles a lot from something I havent been able to completely figure out yet. It almost sounds like at high RPM the top end runs out of oil and stuff starts smacking against each other. But its a secondary bike. I'll figure out why it does that eventually. Right now as long as I can keep it slow enough that it doesnt kill off a niece or nephew and **** off a sibling? Im golden.

Old 10-23-2018, 02:43 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

I wouldn't use that cable adjuster, It has a nasty side effect of altering the revs as you turn the handlebars on most bikes. Check if it does this before letting a novice out on it.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

This particular bike has a thumb throttle. I havent seen any change that would be harmful.