Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

'02 700 running poorly

Old 11-02-2018, 12:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02 700 running poorly

I have replaced the fuel pump, plugs, rubber carb adapter and rebuilt the carb. Went through the carb with fine tooth comb and found no dirt or any problems. Starts fine, idles fine and runs up to about half throttle then just acts like a governor is kicking in. It is charging fine. I checked compression and it is fine. I know these are notorious for ignition problems and i am considering a RM Stator ac to dc ignition kit but just need to be sure it will fix it as it cost $250. Any ides that i have not covered?

Old 11-02-2018, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider

Unplug the speedometer and try it.

Old 11-03-2018, 10:30 AM
Trailblazer

OK I unplugged the speedometer and disconnected the black wire going to the cdi module and it made no difference. It you open the throttle to full position it will go like a scalded ape up to about half throttle the it acts as if there is a governor cutting in and when you let off of the throttle it backfires through the exhaust.

Old 11-03-2018, 11:10 AM
Pro Rider

Can you pull the slide and jet needle a take a pic of it and post it?

Old 11-03-2018, 01:44 PM
Trailblazer

I can. Can you tell me exactly what you are looking for and maybe I can answer.

Old 11-03-2018, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

I want see what position the clip is in, and see how thick the white plastic washer is underneath the clip.

Old 11-03-2018, 02:13 PM
Trailblazer

I can tell you the clip is in the next to bottom position. The plastics piece under the clip is the factory piece. It has never been apart. I recently purchased a carb kit on eBay ( the one you recomended) and the white plastic piece that came in the kit was the same thickness as original so I put the original back in. Also something i forhot to mention is when starting the motor it acts as if the timing is too far advanced. Newer battery and starter. I really appreciate your help.

Old 11-03-2018, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by elishaman79
I can tell you the clip is in the next to bottom position. The plastics piece under the clip is the factory piece. It has never been apart. I recently purchased a carb kit on eBay ( the one you recomended) and the white plastic piece that came in the kit was the same thickness as original so I put the original back in. Also something i forhot to mention is when starting the motor it acts as if the timing is too far advanced. Newer battery and starter. I really appreciate your help.
I dont recall recommending a carb kit from Ebay? Another person on another forum maybe? Dont know. The white plastic piece you used, was approx 1/8 thick correct? I have seen them wear to approx 1/32.

As far as timing issues, never in my career have I seen an issue like that.

Old 11-03-2018, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider

Forgot to say this too. The ignition issues on those that have been always turned into a no spark situation. Not saying it can have a timing issue, I've just never seen that happen to them.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:45 PM
Trailblazer

Yes the plastic piece on the metering rod is approximately 1/8" thick. The carb kit someone suggested was a shinkley? It was a very complete kit. Sorry i thought it was you. The plastic piece did not appear wrorn at all. I inspected everyhing insde the carb with a magnafying glass so i feel confident on telling you the thickness . I know the ignition systems on these fail quite frequently. I was considering replacing it with a ac to dc conversion from rm stator hoping that would fix it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '02 700 running poorly