Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

250 polaris xplorer 4 wd doesnt work after riding a while

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 01:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 250 polaris xplorer 4 wd doesnt work after riding a while

my 2000....250 xplorer 4wd doesnt work in 4wd after a hour or so of snow plowing.....when i come out the next day it works again for a while and then it quits again...i just put a new battery in it last week to b sure that wasnt it....any ideas???

Old 11-12-2018, 02:41 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

have you changed the hub fluid lately? most likely it needs to be serviced or maybe even the armature plates are getting bad but I would start by cleaning and putting new fluid in the hubs. make sure to only put the correct Polaris fluid made for it as well.

Old 11-12-2018, 03:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 250 xplorer.....

Originally Posted by stendori
have you changed the hub fluid lately? most likely it needs to be serviced or maybe even the armature plates are getting bad but I would start by cleaning and putting new fluid in the hubs. make sure to only put the correct Polaris fluid made for it as well.
i just replaced all front end....tie rods,ball joints axles,seals ,bearings with new fluid.....if i swap the battery with a fully charged one when it quits working it works again for about another hour or so.....it was doing this before i did all the work....

Old 11-12-2018, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by mark jones
i just replaced all front end....tie rods,ball joints axles,seals ,bearings with new fluid.....if i swap the battery with a fully charged one when it quits working it works again for about another hour or so.....it was doing this before i did all the work....
Sounds to me like your charging system isnt working. The AWD works off a electronic coil, causing magnetism on the armature plate to engage the AWD. If your charging system isnt working, it will lose voltage in the battery, then the coils and no more AWD.

Old 11-13-2018, 03:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

kinda what i was thinking....stator ?????...i have a new regulator im going to put in...it was cheap part...just to rule it out....i know doing the stator is a big job....wish i had done it when i had the starter out replacing it

Old 11-13-2018, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

kinda what i was thinking....stator ?????...i have a new regulator im going to put in...it was cheap part...just to rule it out....i know doing the stator is a big job....wish i had done it when i had the starter out replacing it
its not that bad on that machine to change a stator. Flywheel puller is the biggest obstacle. Install your regulator and check voltage at the battery. Should be around 13.5 to 14.5, give or take. If that isn't present, reply back and well see about diag on the system.

Old 11-30-2018, 03:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

is it possible to pull flywheel and change stator without removing starter and bendix ?? just remove recoil housing and i can pull flywhee l?? im pretty sure thats it...machine old...lots of miles on it....like to replace it just to b sure its not a problem when im out in middle of nowhere stuck in a mudhole with no 4wd....thanks

Old 11-30-2018, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

is it possible to pull flywheel and change stator without removing starter and bendix ?? just remove recoil housing and i can pull flywhee l?? im pretty sure thats it...machine old...lots of miles on it....like to replace it just to b sure its not a problem when im out in middle of nowhere stuck in a mudhole with no 4wd....thanks
Yes