Kids Quads & Other ATV's - Ask an Expert! An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Chinese made ATV. mywifesquad, LT80, LynnEdwards and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.

Helmet and protective suits for children

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 03:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet and protective suits for children

What are good brands for helmets and protective suits for children?

Shoei makes the xkids helmet which looks pretty good, are there any others?

Old 12-18-2018, 04:12 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

There are a lot of helmet brands out there, what to look for is the rating. Snell or ECE is what to look for. DOT approval isn't much more than a drop test. Look at the shape of the helmet too. Some are rounder, some more elongated. Not drastically, but it makes a difference in comfort. Like just about everything else kids wear, they'll outgrow them. Sometimes quicker than expected. With that in mind, you might want to look at closeout sections or clearance sections when you're shopping. As long as the helmet is new, being a year or two old shouldn't affect it's performance.

Lots of boot choices as well. I've always liked Alpinestars. Pants and jerseys offer a really wide line of choices. Again, I'd look at closeouts since they'll outgrow them. Chest protector and gloves, possibly elbow guards if you want to fully gear them up.

Online shopping will get you better prices, but fit isn't a guaranteed thing since they can't try them on. Check return policies. Some offer free returns and shipping if you need a different size than ordered.

For the helmets, I would say if you can get to a shop and have them physically try them on, it would be best. You'll know exactly what you're looking for then. Buying a helmet that they'll grow into later isn't good idea. Remember what you're putting in it.

Couple of places to shop are Dennis Kirk and Rocky Mountain ATV. Or you can use google and find a whole lot more.

I'm sure you'll get more suggestions and recommendations as more people see this.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Facebook: mini quad fanatics. Ask to join. There was a recent thread on helmets. They certainly can help.

Old 12-25-2018, 09:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the information

Old 12-26-2018, 09:34 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

What age? With younger children look for a lighter helmet especially if they are just learning how to ride. Easier for them to hold up until their neck mussel get used to it. For my little one i always spent the extra and bought from a dealer since you can compare weights on other sizes and order in a smaller size if needed... Riding gear i would always order online as you can find a higher quality for less money. I always went with over the boot pants and order a size up so i could get 2 years out of em. Gloves are a must as well. Shoes on a atv i just let them wear a good set of rubber boots or shoes something they were comfortable in.. I purchased chest protector that fit properly but after the first ride my little one refused to wear it or not ride.. If i were to do that again i would probably go with a shirt style protector or jacket/vest and not the plastic over the head type.. But chest protector is according to your child's riding style, my girl would not go faster than she was comfortable so that was always a nice even pace no speed so i was not concerned about her wearing one. Some kids are little daemons on these things and should be wrapped in every pc of gear you can find..LOL
Your kid has to be comfortable riding if not as they are fidgeting around trying to get comfortable they could get hurt.

Its nice to see parents doing some research instead of just tossing their kids on a machine and going...

Old 02-12-2019, 06:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Son is about three and I did come up on the issue of neck muscle strength, so I went with a light BMX Bell Sanction helmet.

He loves it and runs to put it on when he wants to go on the "motorcycle". It's a KFX50 that is currently limited to ~8mph which is perfect for where he's at now.

Helmet and protective suits for children-yno7dfw.png

Gloves are Flyracing F-16 and Thor chest protector, which fit him nicely.

Helmet and protective suits for children-didk2cf.jpg

Helmet and protective suits for children-2bhn9tr.jpg

He also wears some stiff sidewall boots.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:35 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Good to see you have a decent helmet for riding. That helmet is actually listed as multiple uses for riding. I normally would not recommend a BMX helmet but that one seems to fit the bill... For younger children you can also get a neck support to help with the weight of some helmets.