Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Yamoto 150cc

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 08:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamoto 150cc

I posted in the wrong area yesterday, so I will post again. I bought this Yamoto Quad this summer for my soon to be 9 year old grandson and, I new it had some issues, although the appearance of it is real clean. The first issue was I saw some stray wires that were taped with electrical tape and the battery was not able to hold a charge. A nice neighbor of ours is a good motorcycle mechanic so he was able to get that fixed for us. Another issue is it's missing a headlight which I ordered from China and should be here in a month. The rear swing arm is a little loose so we will take that appart to see if there are bushings or the long bolt is worn, I hope the actual swing arm is not worn out. There is also no air cleaner on this quad, I ordered one that says it fits most Chinese quads but it didn't fit this one, the one this needs goes up front in front of the handle bars under a cover but, so far I can't locate one. My grandson and I wished it had a reverse and to our surprise it actual does at the rear end, I was able to put a vice grip on the lever yesterday and it works, now I am trying to see if someplace will sell the cable and the lever for it. All in all I dont think it was a bad purchase for 450.00 dollar plus new battery and the 40.00 dollars our neighbor needed for the parts.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok, I'm back to square one with this thing. It had been running fine since the repair other than being cold blooded, dumb electric choke! I went out today to start it since I figured if my grandson came over, he could ride in the first sizeable snow we are getting. At first it started up with no throttle, then quit, then the same again and again until finally it would sit at an idle. I figured I wouldn't give it any throttle for 5 minutes or so, until it was fully warmed up, well it quit and would not start at all so, I took out my small engine spark tester which shows no spark at the plug again. Now my neighbor down the road installed a new stater (not charging) and a ignition controller which I can't remember the name of it because there was no spark at that time. Now today I had to put the battery charger to the battery because it wont hold a charge, I drew it down too many times because of the charging issue before. Could it be that I am blowing out the ignition box by hooking the charger to it, are they that sensitive? I'm thinking of just buying the complete wiring set for the thing if I can find a diagram. Some good insight would be appreciated

Old 01-13-2019, 03:19 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

First try a new plug. AC ignition is not connected to the battery, so if it is AC, the battery charger wouldn't affect it. If it is DC ignition, then the electronics could be hit by a battery booster. Be very wary of fitting a new loom. They are mostly "universal" so not made for your machine. Problem is, if you know enough about electrics you can get the existing loom working, provided it hasn't been hacked about by an idiot, if you don't know enough about electrics, you won't get the universal one to work, unless you are very lucky and the universal fits without modifications.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
First try a new plug. AC ignition is not connected to the battery, so if it is AC, the battery charger wouldn't affect it. If it is DC ignition, then the electronics could be hit by a battery booster. Be very wary of fitting a new loom. They are mostly "universal" so not made for your machine. Problem is, if you know enough about electrics you can get the existing loom working, provided it hasn't been hacked about by an idiot, if you don't know enough about electrics, you won't get the universal one to work, unless you are very lucky and the universal fits without modifications.
ended up being being a bad terminal ,fixed. Now if I can just find the reverse lever and the cable