Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2008 Sportsman 500 ho efi problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 09:31 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Sportsman 500 ho efi problems

Hoping to get some help with my quad, it has been having on and off issues since I got it 4-5 years ago. Three codes have been stuck in this machine the whole time, it pulls codes 42, 47 and 58. I have tested the sensors and the IAC ohms out perfect, coolant temp sensor needs replacement as it is out of normal range and the cooling fan turns on and off while running the quad seemingly normal. I was plowing snow recently and the machine started to act up with lack of throttle response, changing idle between too high and too low and then finally it stalled. Check engine light flashed but there were no new codes, after the quad stalled it fired right back up. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Old 02-13-2019, 10:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Is there anyone that can help me out with this?

Old 02-13-2019, 11:16 PM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no idea what's causing it but I wish I did. I have the same quad and will be waiting to see how you get it fixed in case I have that problem too at some point.

Old 02-14-2019, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider

Since the ECM changes the fuel ratio for different engine conditions, I might recommend to replace your bad coolant temp sensor since you stated it is bad. If its giving the ECM a false reading, I think it might be safe to say that it may try to adjust the air/fuel using the idle air control motor. If the ecm doesnt get satisfied with what its getting from the inputs, maybe the IAC is reaching its "END' of travel and causing a code and light. I havent seen this personally, but it seems possible to me this "MAY" be a possible cause.

You have checked the wiring I assume. There have been numerous issues with wiring on polaris for years.

One other thing. I have seen engine codes that could NOT be cleared by removing the battery. I had a few that HAD to be cleared with digital wrench in the past. Wouldnt clear any other way.

I looked in Polaris' manual and it doesnt list a 58 code in the manual for that year. Not sure why.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:21 PM
THE BERMINATOR

Page 55 of my owner's manual shows 2 things for blink code 58:
Fan Circuit: Open Load/Short-To-Ground.
Fan Circuit: Shorted Load/Short-To-Battery.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:45 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Big Frank
Page 55 of my owner's manual shows 2 things for blink code 58:
Fan Circuit: Open Load/Short-To-Ground.
Fan Circuit: Shorted Load/Short-To-Battery.
Cool. thanks. I wonder why the left it out of the service manual? Wierd.

Old 02-15-2019, 03:56 PM
THE BERMINATOR

Originally Posted by 94harley
Cool. thanks. I wonder why the left it out of the service manual? Wierd.
I haven't a clue. The owner's manual for one of my 500 H.O.s had the blink codes on a separate piece of paper. It already had blink codes in it but they added more and/or corrected what was already printed. Maybe they added a page to the service manual too.

Old 06-13-2021, 03:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Chris828
Hoping to get some help with my quad, it has been having on and off issues since I got it 4-5 years ago. Three codes have been stuck in this machine the whole time, it pulls codes 42, 47 and 58. I have tested the sensors and the IAC ohms out perfect, coolant temp sensor needs replacement as it is out of normal range and the cooling fan turns on and off while running the quad seemingly normal. I was plowing snow recently and the machine started to act up with lack of throttle response, changing idle between too high and too low and then finally it stalled. Check engine light flashed but there were no new codes, after the quad stalled it fired right back up. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Have you found the issue for these codez?