YUASA Batteries Are GREAT!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 07:58 PM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default YUASA Batteries Are GREAT!

YUASA batteries are so good that most OEMs use them in ATVs, UTVs, motorcycles, snowmobiles, PWC, etc. All of my ATVs had YUASA batteries and I never had a single problem with any of them that wasn't due to them being too old. I finally replaced the original YUASA AGM battery in my Sportsman this week. I bought the same exact model as the stock battery that's been in there since I bought my quad in 2008. I had to add the acid, seal it and charge it. Now it's maintenance free like the old one, and it won't leak if it's upside down or sideways, which is a problem I sometimes have when I ride. The old battery still worked most of the time but didn't hold a charge as well as it should have. I also had a loose battery cable that I didn't notice until I was taking the old battery out, so I'm lucky it worked at all. I had to pull start my ATV twice this winter but after it ran a few minutes I could turn it off and it would start with the key. Last night I scrubbed all the dirt and grime off my old battery and looked it over. There's a sticker on it that says it was activated 02 2008, 11 years ago this month. No wonder it acted like it was getting old!

I got the new battery on amazon for 80 bucks with free shipping and no sales tax. To get one from the dealer that was just like it but already sealed and charged at the factory, and sitting on a shelf for who knows how long, would have cost me $150 + $9 tax. The only difference between the new battery and the original is that when I looked at the old one I saw the Polaris name on it with all the other information, and when I look at the new one I see the back of the battery. The name, model number, CCA, and everything else is on the other side of the new battery, like it's in backward. For about half the price I can do without being to read all that writing on it. There's a little white warning sticker that I think says it has lead and acid in it. It's a lot smaller than the one on the back of the old battery and TBH I didn't pay much attention to it. My YUASA made in Lauderdale, Pennsylvania high performance battery was only $5 more than a Chinese piece of crap that did have nearly as many amps. It was worth every penny and then some.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:50 PM
THE BERMINATOR

There's something else I really like about YUASA batteries, or at least these last two. When I bought cheap batteries in the past to save a few bucks, they had thin square or rectangular nuts that I had to hold up inside the battery posts to get the bolts in. The bolts were never long enough to reach those thin nuts if I didn't. I tried holding the nuts up with a screwdriver or knife blade and always had a really hard time getting the bolts in. The nuts would slide back and forth so they didn't line up, fall on the ground, and just generally aggravate me for a few minutes before I finally got the bolts in. My YUASA batteries have rectangular nuts that are as thick as they are wide. You slide them in as far as they go and put the bolts in, and that's all there is to it. I wish my old batteries were that easy.

Old 02-16-2019, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I've also had good luck with YUASA batteries.

Old 02-16-2019, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Always pays to buy better stuff. Cheap stuff always costs more in the long run! People spends thousands on there toys and then get cheap on inportant things like oil, filters and batteries!

Old 02-16-2019, 10:44 PM
THE BERMINATOR

The only thing I remember cheaping out on was batteries, but never again. I was planning on getting an AGM battery anyway but didn't realize that's what it always had in it. If it lasts 10 years that's only $8/year. And even if 4 Walmart batteries lasted as long as one YUASA battery but cost less, it still wouldn't be worth the trouble of having to change the battery 4 times instead of once.

Out of curiosity I just checked online and Walmart only has one battery they say will fit my ATV, but it won't. It's 5" wide instead of 3.5", plus it's a KMG brand made in China, and it would cost me $12.41 more than my new one! Since the nuts they used on mine were the same height and width it would be just as easy to get the bolts in if the cables were on the side instead of the top. Push the nut in all the way and put the bolt in with no cursing or new gray hairs. My battery came with 2 square steel spacers with holes in the middle, longer bolts and lock washers to side mount the cables. The spacers would make up the distance between the sides of the posts and the sides of the battery. I just used the short bolts on top the way it was before but it was nice of them to include the hardware to install it either way.