Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Lt80 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 04:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt80 won't start

Pulling my hair out

We bought an LT80 in the fall that wouldn't start. After screwing with it a while it would run for about 10 mins with low power and would die. Compression was around 75 so I put a chinese pison and sleeve in it. Ran like a champ for 2 tanks of fuel but didn't idle very well each time we used it (in the snow). Last time it ran I ran out of gas in the yard. topped it up and it hasn't ran since. Took the carb off a couple weeks ago and the isolator was broken in about 6 pieces. New isolator and gasket are on. Pulled the reed and it has the stainless one still in it. tried the Boyssens and they didn't close properly, nor would it start. put the stainless one back on and i see no air around the valve. Cleaned bottom of carb today and idle jet looked clogged. Buttoned back up and still no luck.

Bike will sputter with starter fluid into the carb, or after pulling a few times with 2 fingers over the carb then held WOT. Fuel is pre-mixed 32:1 and oil tank is blocked off. spark plug has 4 hours on it. Current Compression is 110.

spark is good and it is getting fuel from the petcock to the carb and bowl is full when I open the drain screw.

Thoughts?

Old 03-02-2019, 06:34 PM
Trailblazer

Can't say I have a solution at the moment, but for my own clarification, what is a broken "isolator"?

Old 03-02-2019, 09:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Yoakum
Can't say I have a solution at the moment, but for my own clarification, what is a broken "isolator"?
it's the black plastic part between the carb and reed valve. It must have been dried out I assume.

Old 03-03-2019, 01:02 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you pull out the pilot jet and main jet and clean and blow out with some forced air. It’s suggested to put inline filter and shutoff on these for elimination of crankcase fill up and trash getting to the carb from tank the passage are tiny in these carbs and easily clogged

Old 03-03-2019, 01:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

The insulators can break. Not too common. I suspect someone tightened one side too tight and then cranked on the other side.
When you took the carb off, did you remove the jets and clean all making sure you can see thru the holes in the carb body and jets?
Maybe a plugged pipe.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd try the following to completely bypass the carb...you need to pull the plug, shoot about 3 seconds worth of fluid into the plug hole, replace plug and then fire it up...if it runs for 10 seconds or so I'd say carb issue...if it wont start this way you have other issues...

Old 03-04-2019, 01:27 PM
Trailblazer

Is that a good idea if you're depending on the fuel mix to provide lubrication? Doesn't take long to seize an engine.
But speaking of starter fluid, have you tried the old "spraying around the seals, gaskets, etc." to look for an air leak?

Old 03-04-2019, 06:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I see LT grandad and I asked the same question about jets. No answer yet.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

I shoved this thing aside from frustration for a month and started playing with it again today. I just pulled all the jets out again and made sure they were all clear and made sure everything was cleaned up. Pipe is currently off the bike. Still no luck besides starter fluid into the carb.

I have tried 2 different carbs, I am at a total loss unless it is reeds.

Old 04-20-2019, 06:45 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Have you checked compression again? Those Chinese kits don't have the ports chamfered I believe, so you have to do it before assembly, if a ring caught on a sharp edged port it could do damage. Did you fit the rings the right way up. I didn't know they had a right way and couldn't weigh up why the rings didn't fit, Jack, on here, put me right.

Quick Reply: Lt80 won't start